General Launch Angle Question

In summary, a young girl swings on a rope above a swimming hole with an initial velocity of 2.10 m/s at an angle of 35.0 degrees above the horizontal. After being in flight for 0.615 s, she is 1.07 meters above the water when she lets go of the rope. This is calculated using the equation y = (v0sin(theta))t - 0.5gt^2 and assuming that y and v0 are in the upward direction and g is in the downward direction.
New-Blu-Blood

Homework Statement

On a hot summer day, a young girl swings on a rope above the local swimming hole . When she let's go of the rope her initial velocity is 2.10 m/s at an angle of 35.0 degrees above the horizontal. If she is in flight for 0.615 s, how high above the water was she when she let go of the rope?

Homework Equations

The equation I used to try to solve for the problem was y=(v0sin(theta))t-.5gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the angle is 35 degrees, initial velocity is 2.10 m/s and that initial X and Y positions are both zero. I plug my numbers into the equation given above and get 3.15 for y. The answer in the back of the book says 1.07 meters, but I can't figure out how they arrived at this answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your calculations. I am getting different answer.

Ok, I think I messed the calculation up a little. Here should be the correct calculation.

y= (2.10 x sin 35).615 - .5(-9.80).6152 = 2.59 or 3

New-Blu-Blood said:
Ok, I think I messed the calculation up a little. Here should be the correct calculation.

y= (2.10 x sin 35).615 - .5(-9.80).6152 = 2.59 or 3
When you use the formula
y = vo*t - 0.5*g*t^2, you assume that y and vo are in the upward direction and g is in the downward direction. So you should not use -g in the equation.

1. What is a general launch angle?

A general launch angle is the angle at which an object is launched or projected into the air. It is measured from the horizontal plane and can affect the trajectory and distance of the object.

2. Why is launch angle important in scientific experiments?

Launch angle is important in scientific experiments because it can impact the results and accuracy of the experiment. It can also help determine the optimal angle for achieving the desired outcome.

3. How does launch angle affect the flight of a projectile?

The launch angle directly affects the flight of a projectile because it determines the initial direction and velocity of the object. A higher launch angle will result in a higher and shorter trajectory, while a lower launch angle will result in a longer and flatter trajectory.

4. What factors can influence the optimal launch angle?

The optimal launch angle can be influenced by several factors including air resistance, gravity, wind speed and direction, and the shape and weight of the object being launched.

5. How can launch angle be calculated or measured?

Launch angle can be calculated using trigonometry, taking into account the horizontal and vertical components of the object's initial velocity. It can also be measured using tools such as a protractor or launch angle sensor.