What is the Limit of a Rational Function?

In summary, the problem is asking to find the limit \lim_{x\rightarrow0} \frac{\frac{1}{x+2}-\frac{1}{2}}{x} algebraically. The attempt at a solution involves multiplying by \frac{x}{x} and simplifying the resulting fractions. However, there is uncertainty about the algebra and the next steps to take. The suggested solution is to combine the two fractions in the numerator and then simplify the overall expression.
efekwulsemmay

Homework Statement

All the problem is asking me to do is find the limit. I have to do it algebraicly too which sucks. I can't figure out how to do it.
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0} \frac{\frac{1}{x+2}-\frac{1}{2}}{x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I am not sure really.

The Attempt at a Solution

One thing I have tried is to multiply by [tex]\frac {x}{x}[/tex]. Which gave me:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0} \frac{\frac{1}{x+2}-\frac{1}{2}}{x} \times \frac {x}{x}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\frac{1\times x}{x+2}-\frac{1\times x}{2}}{x\times x}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\frac{x}{x+2}-\frac{x}{2}}{x^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{x}{x+2}\rightarrow \frac{x}{x}+\frac{x}{2} \rightarrow 1+\frac{x}{2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1+\frac{x}{2}-\frac{x}{2}}{x^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/tex]

1) I am not sure of my algebra during this and
2) I don't know where to go from here should my algebra check out.

I have already tried to multiply by [tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex] but it just seems to give me [tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}}{x}[/tex] which doesn't help. I am stuck help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Combine the two fractions in the numerator and then simplify the whole thing.

Thank you! :):):):):):):):)

1. What is a general limits problem?

A general limits problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. This value is known as the limit and is used to determine the behavior of a function near a given point.

2. How do you solve a general limits problem?

To solve a general limits problem, you first need to identify the function and the input value. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, and rationalization to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit. In some cases, you may also need to use L'Hôpital's rule or apply trigonometric identities to solve the problem.

3. What are the different types of limits?

There are three types of limits: one-sided limits, two-sided limits, and infinite limits. One-sided limits are used when the function approaches the input value from only one direction, while two-sided limits are used when the function approaches the input value from both directions. Infinite limits occur when the function approaches positive or negative infinity as the input value approaches a specific value.

4. Why are limits important in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they help us understand the behavior of functions and their values near a specific point. They are used in calculus to calculate derivatives and integrals, and in other areas of mathematics to solve equations and determine the convergence of sequences and series.

5. Can you give an example of a real-world application of limits?

One example of a real-world application of limits is in physics, specifically in the study of motion and velocity. The limit of the average velocity of an object over a short period of time is used to calculate the instantaneous velocity at a specific moment. This is important in understanding the behavior of moving objects and predicting their future positions.