Explaining General Linear Position & GL Group

In summary, the circuit will continue to deliver power to the load even when the switch is closed, because the internal resistance of the battery is less than the emf.
jeff1evesque
Statement:The following definition was taken from wikipedia:
The general linear group of degree n is the set of n×n invertible matrices, together with the operation of ordinary matrix multiplication. This forms a group, because the product of two invertible matrices is again invertible, and the inverse of an invertible matrix is invertible. The name is because the columns of an invertible matrix are linearly independent, hence the vectors/points they define are in general linear position, and matrices in the general linear group take points in general linear position to points in general linear position.

To be more precise, it is necessary to specify what kind of objects may appear in the entries of the matrix. For example, the general linear group over R (the set of real numbers) is the group of n×n invertible matrices of real numbers, and is denoted by [tex]GL_{n}(R)[/tex] or [tex]GL(n, R).[/tex]

Question:
Can someone explain to me what a general linear position is.

Also what is meant by the following two statements (taken from the statement above):
(i.)
The name is because the columns of an invertible matrix are linearly independent, hence the vectors/points they define are in general linear position.
(ii.)
...and matrices in the general linear group take points in general linear position to points in general linear position.

Thanks,JL

Physics news on Phys.org
Concentrate on "linearly independent". They appear to be using "general position" as a vague synonym for linearly independent. It doesn't mean anything different.

Hey can i get your thoughts on this one? i can't seem to figure out, its an internal resistance and electromotive force problems

1) a complete circuit consists of a 12.0 V battery with a 4.50 ohm resistor and switch. the internal resistance of the battery is 0.30 ohms when switch is open. what does the voltmeter read when placed:

a. across the terminal of the battery when the switch is open
b. across the resistor when the switch is open
c. across the terminal of the battery when the switch is closed
d. across the resistor when the switch is closed

2) when the switch S is open, the voltmeter V reads 2.0 V. when the switch is closed, the voltmeter reading drops to 1.50 V and the ammeter reads 1.20 A. find the emf (electromotive force) and the internal resistance of the battery. assume that the two meters are ideal so they don't affect the circuit.

Maybe you can't figure it out, but you can try. And this has nothing to do with GL(n,R). You really should post a new thread and show SOME attempt at solving it before expecting any help.

I think I get the point, but here it is anyways (I find it hard to solve circuit problems also- if i made a mistake, forgive me):

hysteria said:
Hey can i get your thoughts on this one? i can't seem to figure out, its an internal resistance and electromotive force problems

1) a complete circuit consists of a 12.0 V battery with a 4.50 ohm resistor and switch. the internal resistance of the battery is 0.30 ohms when switch is open. what does the voltmeter read when placed:

a. across the terminal of the battery when the switch is open
b. across the resistor when the switch is open
c. across the terminal of the battery when the switch is closed
d. across the resistor when the switch is closed

When the circuit is closed we have the following:
Current across the closed circuit:
[tex]I = \frac{V}{R} = \frac{12}{4.5} = 2.67 amps [/tex] by ohms law.
Also, the voltage across the resistor is the same as the voltage across the battery, which can be verified by Ohms law [tex]V = I \cdot R.[/tex]

2) when the switch S is open, the voltmeter V reads 2.0 V. when the switch is closed, the voltmeter reading drops to 1.50 V and the ammeter reads 1.20 A. find the emf (electromotive force) and the internal resistance of the battery. assume that the two meters are ideal so they don't affect the circuit.

I am not sure about this. Is this a parallel circuit, and where is the voltmeter hooked up to?

Thank you,JL

Attachments

• hysteria.bmp
    236.2 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:

1. What is general linear position?

General linear position refers to the position of an object or point in a space with n dimensions. It is defined by a set of n coordinate values, where each coordinate represents the distance along a specific axis. In simpler terms, it is the location of an object in space.

2. What is the GL group?

The GL group, also known as the general linear group, is a mathematical concept that represents all possible transformations of a space with n dimensions. It includes rotations, reflections, translations, and any combination of these transformations. The GL group is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and has many applications in areas such as physics, computer graphics, and engineering.

3. Why is general linear position important?

General linear position is important because it allows us to describe the location of objects in any space, regardless of the number of dimensions. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many practical applications, such as in navigation, geometry, and data analysis.

4. How is general linear position different from other types of positions?

General linear position is different from other types of positions because it can describe the location of an object in any space, whereas other types of positions may be limited to specific dimensions. For example, Cartesian coordinates can only describe positions in three-dimensional space, while polar coordinates are limited to two dimensions. General linear position is also unique in that it can incorporate any type of transformation, making it a more versatile concept.

5. What is the relationship between general linear position and the GL group?

The GL group is closely related to general linear position because it is a mathematical representation of all possible transformations of a space. Each point in general linear position can be transformed by the GL group, resulting in a new point in the same space. This relationship allows us to use the GL group to perform operations on general linear positions, such as rotations and translations.