1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General math to find average

Tags:
  1. Dec 4, 2014 #1
    • Missing template due to originally being posted in different forum
    the question statement is

2. In a course, a student's final exam is weighted twice as heavily as his midterm exam. If a student receives a score of 84 on his final exam , 90 on his midterm, what is the average for his courses?

now i am pretty confused should I have to know the total marks for the exam. I can keep final score 84 and half the midterm to 45 and then average them. is this the right way to do it?

and i got an answer of 64.5

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If the final is weighted twice as heavily as the midterm, then you can think of it as being 3 exams in total with all equal weighting, where 2 of them are 84, then find the average of those.

So you have

[tex]\frac{2*84+90}{3}=\frac{2}{3}84+\frac{1}{3}90=86[/tex]

Your approach was almost there, but you missed the detail that since you had 1 score of 84 and then half a score of 90 (in a sense) then to average these you would've had to have divided by 1 and a half.

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 'average' should wind up somewhere between the highest and lowest scores, whether there are two scores or twenty scores.
    Under your scheme, a student whose individual scores were solid Bs (84 and 90) wound up failing the course. (64.5) :L

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4
    You could also solve it in your head using : since the weights are in the ratio 1:2 therefore 2 times decrease in 90 corresponds to 1 time increase in 84
    Therefore,
    84-----90
    85------88
    86------86(which is the desired answer)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted