Calculating Weighted Averages in a Course

In summary, the average for the student's courses would be 86, calculated by taking the weighted average of his final and midterm exams, where the final exam is weighted twice as heavily as the midterm. This means that the two scores of 84 and 90 result in an average of 86, not 64.5 as calculated by dividing by 1.5.
tfhub
Missing template due to originally being posted in different forum
the question statement is2. In a course, a student's final exam is weighted twice as heavily as his midterm exam. If a student receives a score of 84 on his final exam , 90 on his midterm, what is the average for his courses?

now i am pretty confused should I have to know the total marks for the exam. I can keep final score 84 and half the midterm to 45 and then average them. is this the right way to do it?

and i got an answer of 64.5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the final is weighted twice as heavily as the midterm, then you can think of it as being 3 exams in total with all equal weighting, where 2 of them are 84, then find the average of those.

So you have

[tex]\frac{2*84+90}{3}=\frac{2}{3}84+\frac{1}{3}90=86[/tex]

Your approach was almost there, but you missed the detail that since you had 1 score of 84 and then half a score of 90 (in a sense) then to average these you would've had to have divided by 1 and a half.

Likes tfhub
tfhub said:
the question statement is2. In a course, a student's final exam is weighted twice as heavily as his midterm exam. If a student receives a score of 84 on his final exam , 90 on his midterm, what is the average for his courses?

now i am pretty confused should I have to know the total marks for the exam. I can keep final score 84 and half the midterm to 45 and then average them. is this the right way to do it?

and i got an answer of 64.5

The 'average' should wind up somewhere between the highest and lowest scores, whether there are two scores or twenty scores.
Under your scheme, a student whose individual scores were solid Bs (84 and 90) wound up failing the course. (64.5) :L

You could also solve it in your head using : since the weights are in the ratio 1:2 therefore 2 times decrease in 90 corresponds to 1 time increase in 84
Therefore,
84-----90
85------88
86------86(which is the desired answer)

1. How do you calculate the average?

The average, or arithmetic mean, is calculated by adding all the numbers in a set and then dividing the sum by the total number of values in the set.

2. What is the difference between mean, median, and mode?

The mean is the average of a set of numbers, the median is the middle value when the numbers are arranged in ascending or descending order, and the mode is the number that appears most frequently in the set.

3. How do you find the average of a set with both positive and negative numbers?

To find the average of a set with positive and negative numbers, you can add all the numbers and then divide by the total number of values, or you can find the mean of the absolute values of the numbers and then add back the negative sign to the result if necessary.

4. Can the average be affected by outliers in a set of data?

Yes, outliers, or extreme values, can significantly affect the average of a set of data. It is important to consider removing outliers or using a different measure of central tendency, such as the median, in these cases.

5. How is the average used in real-world applications?

The average is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating grades in education, determining the average salary for a job position, and analyzing data in scientific research. It is a useful tool for summarizing a large set of data and providing a single representative value.