1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Maths question...

1. Aug 9, 2016 #1
    13978393_10154275950331469_278627180_o.jpg
    please can someone very kindly verify this is correct?
    Thanks
    Andy

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I moved the thread to our homework section.

Did you plug the result into the original equation to check? You can also use tools like http://www.wolframalpha.com for that.

You use "x" for two different things, that notation is very confusing.

4. Aug 9, 2016 #3
    Hi MFB.

Yes I plugged it and it came out ok! Just wanted it checking as my logarithm work is self taught of youtube vids so not confident! :-)

Thanks
    Andy

5. Aug 9, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

@Andy86, the problem statement is unclear. What you wrote appears to be ##3\cdot4## and ##8\cdot5##. If you meant 3.4 and 8.5, the decimal point needs to be lower so that it won't be confused with the raised dot (##\cdot##) that denotes multiplication.

6. Aug 9, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To get around the problem described in post #4, you should type out the problem (and preferably, the solution also).

For example, if you mean that ##3.4^{2x+3} = 8.5## you would type that as 3.4^(2x+3) =8.5. But, if you mean that ##3 \times 4^{2x+3} = 8 \times 5## you would type that as 3*4^(2x+3) = 8*5. Finally, if you mean that ##(3 \times 4)^{2x+3} = 8 \times 5## you could type that as (3*4)^(2x+3) = 8*5. Generally, posted images of problems and solutions are discouraged, for a number of very good reasons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted