Compound Thick Lens: Calculating Refractive Power with Thick Lens Equation

In summary: If it is virtual, then the power of the lens will be negative and if it is real, the power will be positive.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

I have a compound thick lens problem that I need to find the sign of the refractive power.

Homework Equations

Thick lens equation and focal length equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe all I need to do is calculate the focal length of the first two thick lenses and then use that result as the first "lens" in the same focal length equation again:

##\frac{1}{f_{12}}=\frac{1}{f_{1}}+\frac{1}{f_{2}}-\frac{d_{12}}{f_{1}f_{2}}##
##\frac{1}{f_{123}}=\frac{1}{f_{12}}+\frac{1}{f_{3}}-\frac{d_{123}}{f_{12}f_{3}}##

Is this a correct (or correct enough approximation) to get the sign?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could "send in" parallel rays (object at infinity) and try and work out if the image formed by the system is real (+ sign) or virtual (- sign)? What information about the system is available?

andrevdh said:
Maybe you could "send in" parallel rays (object at infinity) and try and work out if the image formed by the system is real (+ sign) or virtual (- sign)? What information about the system is available?
I have all the dimensions of the lenses and distances between in the system.

HyperPhysics have decent summary of the relevant theory - Gullstrand's equation and principal planes.

What 'd' should be used for calculating the power when including the third lens? So I have the first two lenses easy enough. But I'm not sure if I take the P12 to be the distance of the second lens, the average of the distance from 1->3 and 1->2 or just the total distance. I suspect it is the distance from the second lens but I"m not 100% sure.

Maybe you should treat each lens separately, otherwise you run into the problem you are now facing - how to locate the second principal plane, which in this instance seems to be "impossible"? Sorry not my forte.

Yeah, its been several years since I've had any optics classes so I'm struggling to remember. I recall doing some matrix multiplication for compound lenses but I don't dare delve that deeply. I don't think it is impossible, just more effort.

1. What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the properties and behavior of light, including its interactions with matter and the instruments used to detect and manipulate it.

2. What are the different types of optics?

The main types of optics include geometric optics, which studies light as rays and uses laws of reflection and refraction, and physical optics, which focuses on the wave-like properties of light such as diffraction and interference. Other types include quantum optics, nonlinear optics, and biophotonics.

3. How is optics used in everyday life?

Optics has countless practical applications in our daily lives, including in the design of eyeglasses, cameras, and telescopes, as well as in medical imaging technologies like X-rays and MRI. Optics is also essential in telecommunications, fiber optics, and laser technology.

4. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a material with a different refractive index. Reflection follows the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, while refraction follows Snell's law, which relates the angles of incidence and refraction to the refractive indices of the materials involved.

5. How does the human eye work?

The human eye works by focusing light through the cornea, pupil, and lens onto the retina, which contains light-sensitive cells called rods and cones. These cells convert light into electrical signals that are sent to the brain via the optic nerve, allowing us to see images and colors. The brain then interprets these signals to create the visual perception we experience.