1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Optics Question

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a compound thick lens problem that I need to find the sign of the refractive power.

2. Relevant equations
    Thick lens equation and focal length equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe all I need to do is calculate the focal length of the first two thick lenses and then use that result as the first "lens" in the same focal length equation again:

##\frac{1}{f_{12}}=\frac{1}{f_{1}}+\frac{1}{f_{2}}-\frac{d_{12}}{f_{1}f_{2}}##
    ##\frac{1}{f_{123}}=\frac{1}{f_{12}}+\frac{1}{f_{3}}-\frac{d_{123}}{f_{12}f_{3}}##

Is this a correct (or correct enough approximation) to get the sign?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Maybe you could "send in" parallel rays (object at infinity) and try and work out if the image formed by the system is real (+ sign) or virtual (- sign)? What information about the system is available?

4. Sep 29, 2015 #3
    I have all the dimensions of the lenses and distances between in the system.

5. Sep 29, 2015 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

HyperPhysics have decent summary of the relevant theory - Gullstrand's equation and principal planes.

6. Sep 29, 2015 #5
    What 'd' should be used for calculating the power when including the third lens? So I have the first two lenses easy enough. But I'm not sure if I take the P12 to be the distance of the second lens, the average of the distance from 1->3 and 1->2 or just the total distance. I suspect it is the distance from the second lens but I"m not 100% sure.

7. Sep 29, 2015 #6

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Maybe you should treat each lens separately, otherwise you run into the problem you are now facing - how to locate the second principal plane, which in this instance seems to be "impossible"? Sorry not my forte.

8. Sep 29, 2015 #7
    Yeah, its been several years since I've had any optics classes so I'm struggling to remember. I recall doing some matrix multiplication for compound lenses but I don't dare delve that deeply. I don't think it is impossible, just more effort.

9. Sep 29, 2015 #8

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted