1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Physics 1

1. Jan 23, 2005 #1
    A rock is thrown vertically upward from ground level at time t=0. At time t=1.5s it passes the top of a tall tower, and 1.0s later t reaches its maximum height. What is the height of the tower? ....... is this the equation i would use....... delta(Y)= Vo(t) + 1/2(a)(t2)...........with Vo= 0 , t=1.5, a= 9.8m/s2.....with delta(Y) in Height......= 11.025meters......need help on this one :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use this equation
    [tex]v_{fin}=v_{0}-gt [/tex]

to find the initial velocity (which is not zero),knowing the total time of flight...
    Then this
    [tex] h=v_{0}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^{2} [/tex]

to find the height...

Daniel.

4. Jan 23, 2005 #3
    hey thanks so much for helping me out.....for the answer i got h= 30.625m......iam not sure if thats the answer you would have got.....but this is my setup..... Vo= V + gt..... i got 24.5m/s2......then i used Vo-1/2gt2......which i got it to be = 30.625m.....

Thank you for your help.....

Krishna Patel

5. Jan 23, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do u agree that
    [tex] h_{tower}=24.5\frac{m}{s}\cdot 1.5s-\frac{1}{2}9.8\frac{m}{s^{2}}\cdot (1.5s)^{2} [/tex]

??

Do you understand what i did??

Daniel.

6. Jan 26, 2005 #5
    yeah i see what i did wrong i plugged in 2.5s....instead of 1.5 which it took the time to pass the tower.....i thought it would be the where it reaches its max height for time......but i see how its done...thanks so much....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?