1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General physics books?

1. Nov 14, 2014 #1
    I haven't studied much physics or mathematics in a few years, and I was wondering if someone could recommend me a few good books to get started? I don't want to miss anything important. I've been taking some free courses online, but I would love some reading materials to supplement.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

What level of physics and math do you have?

For a gentle introduction, you look into Prof Susskinds two books on Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics. They do require an understanding of Calculus.

4. Nov 14, 2014 #3
    I took calculus in high school, but it's been a few years, so I'm trying to freshen up right now. Would that be enough to understand what's going on?

5. Nov 14, 2014 #4

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

You should review calculus first if you're rusty. Then grab an intro physics text like Halliday & Resnick.

6. Nov 17, 2014 #5
  7. Nov 19, 2014 #6
    I suggest you "For the love of the physics" by Prof Walter Lewin.
    It isn't a technical book about physics, it's just a general introduction of some physics stuff but I think that everyone have to read it :)

8. Nov 20, 2014 #7
    This is the best way. Halliday-Resnick is clear for beginners.

9. Jan 10, 2015 #8
    University Physics 13th edition By Young, freedman
    is a good book

10. Feb 20, 2015 #9

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

All of the above mentioned texts are good, but I suspect you might like reading Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt best (older edition would be fine and cheap). The math is non calculus based, yet he covers concepts well. An easy read with problems that can be solved with pre-calculus.
    I kind of like writing style Halliday-Resnick over Young and Freedman, but both offer good calculus based books (I have used both).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted