Estimate the number of hairs in a typical braid

• Thread starter NosajW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Estimate
In summary, the conversation is about estimating the number of hairs in a typical braid, given the information that a human hair is about 100 μm across and the average number of hairs on a person's head is 100,000. The participants discuss methods for estimating the number, including calculating the area of a ponytail and considering the density of hair. It is mentioned that the question is for a classical physics course and there is a sub forum for homework problems. The conversation ends with a suggestion to Google the average diameter of a human braid for more information.
NosajW
A human hair is about 100 μm across. Estimate the number of hairs in a typical braid.
The average number of hairs on a person’s head = 100,000, and the answer is supposed to be 10,000. Can someone explain how you would get 10,000? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
NosajW said:
A human hair is about 100 μm across. Estimate the number of hairs in a typical braid.
The average number of hairs on a person’s head = 100,000, and the answer is supposed to be 10,000. Can someone explain how you would get 10,000? Thanks in advance

Is this homework? It's not really classical physics. Anyway, I presume you estimate the radius of a ponytail, compute the area pi*r^2, then convert the area into units of hair diameters per m^2.

Now this wouldn't be the densest possible solution but I presume hair is not densely packed.

Yeah it's homework and I am taking classical physics so I thought I'd post it here. This is the beginning of the course so we're doing units and basic stuff. This question is ridiculous, how big is the radius of a typical braid supposed to be anyway.

NosajW said:
Yeah it's homework and I am taking classical physics so I thought I'd post it here. This is the beginning of the course so we're doing units and basic stuff. This question is ridiculous, how big is the radius of a typical braid supposed to be anyway.

I don't know, try an inch and see what you get. BTW there is a sub forum here for homework problems. Remember, it said estimate. You don't need to get exactly the same answer. But if you want Google average human braid diameter and see if you can find anything.

What is the purpose of estimating the number of hairs in a typical braid?

The purpose of estimating the number of hairs in a typical braid is to gain a better understanding of the composition and density of human hair. It can also be used in various industries, such as hair care and wig making, to accurately measure and estimate the amount of hair needed for different products.

How can the number of hairs in a braid be estimated?

The number of hairs in a braid can be estimated by counting the number of strands in a small section of the braid and then multiplying it by the total number of sections in the braid. This method may not be 100% accurate, but it can provide a rough estimate.

Is the number of hairs in a braid the same for everyone?

No, the number of hairs in a braid can vary from person to person depending on their hair thickness and the size of the braid. Additionally, some people may have naturally thicker or thinner hair, which can also affect the number of hairs in a braid.

Can the number of hairs in a braid change over time?

Yes, the number of hairs in a braid can change over time due to various factors such as hair shedding, hair growth, and hair damage. Therefore, the estimated number of hairs in a braid may not be the same every time it is measured.

Why is it important to estimate the number of hairs in a typical braid?

Estimating the number of hairs in a typical braid is important for various reasons. It can help in determining the amount of hair needed for different hair products, understanding hair density and composition, and monitoring hair growth and health. It can also be used in scientific research and studies related to hair.