1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Physics Problem

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    A human hair is about 100 μm across. Estimate the number of hairs in a typical braid.
    The average number of hairs on a person’s head = 100,000, and the answer is supposed to be 10,000. Can someone explain how you would get 10,000? Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2
    Is this homework? It's not really classical physics. Anyway, I presume you estimate the radius of a ponytail, compute the area pi*r^2, then convert the area into units of hair diameters per m^2.

Now this wouldn't be the densest possible solution but I presume hair is not densely packed.
  4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    Yeah it's homework and I am taking classical physics so I thought I'd post it here. This is the beginning of the course so we're doing units and basic stuff. This question is ridiculous, how big is the radius of a typical braid supposed to be anyway.
  5. Feb 5, 2008 #4
    I don't know, try an inch and see what you get. BTW there is a sub forum here for homework problems. Remember, it said estimate. You don't need to get exactly the same answer. But if you want Google average human braid diameter and see if you can find anything.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?