1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General physics

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    1. A pyramid has a height of 474 ft and its base covers an area of 11.0 acres. The volume of a pyramid is given by the expression V = 1/3 Bh, where B is the area of the base and h is the height. Find the volume of this pyramid in cubic meters. (1 acre = 43 560 ft2).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

One of the rules around here is that we help and don't do it for you. Many people know how to solve your problem but that doesn't help you if they do it for you.

Hence you must make an effort to come up with a solution.

So how would you approach this pyramid?

4. Feb 5, 2009 #3
    Hey LowlyPion thanks for the welcome. Appreciate the advice. Thinking about it, I guess I would convert the acres of the pyramid into ft^2 first. the height is given so i guess i would multiply that by what 11 acres is in ft^2 then multiply that answer by 1/3. although I'm a bit confused. Since 1 acre is 43560 ft^2, am I right by multiplying 11 by 43560 or do I need to square 43560 first then multiply by 11? then again there's converting ft into m i think

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. Feb 5, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Personally, I'd convert everything to meters at the start, since that is the units for the answer.
    You can convert the height straight away.

The rest is ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?