Solving General QM Problem: Finding Commuting Operators

In summary: Thanks! Ugh! In fact I had considered angular momentum but I thought that its form was particular to the hydrogen atom. But I guess since there is no phi-dependence on the potential it should work fine. So L1 and L2 work for 1.) and 2.), but how about #3? Will the total angular momentum be conserved? If so, how is it defined? Is it just L = L1 + L2? You can try to calculate [L,H]=0 explicitly. There is, however, a nicer approach. Try to prove the following equivalent conditionH = \exp(\frac{i}{\hbar} (\mathbf{L} \cdot \
vincebs
Hmm well this question isn't general except in the sense that I have no idea about how to solve it and hence have no idea what physics it involves!

Two particles

particle one obeys H_1 = (p_1)^2/(2m_1) + V1(r_1)
particle two obeys H_2 = (p_2)^2/(2m_2) + V2(r_2)

The system obeys H = H_1 + H_2 + V(|r1 - r2|)

(the latter is the relative distance between the two particles' positions)
r_1 and r_2 are scalars, r1 and r2 are the respective vectors

1.) Find an operator that commutes with H_1 and state its equation of motion
2.) Find an operator that commutes with H_2 and state its equation of motion
3.) Find an operator that commutes with H (and prove that it does)

How do I go about doing this? I can only think of trivial examples, like H_2 commutes with H_1 and vice-versa, and nothing for H.

There is no other information given, so I can't assume this is the helium atom or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
vincebs said:
Hmm well this question isn't general except in the sense that I have no idea about how to solve it and hence have no idea what physics it involves!

Two particles

particle one obeys H_1 = (p_1)^2/(2m_1) + V1(r_1)
particle two obeys H_2 = (p_2)^2/(2m_2) + V2(r_2)

The system obeys H = H_1 + H_2 + V(|r1 - r2|)

(the latter is the relative distance between the two particles' positions)
r_1 and r_2 are scalars, r1 and r2 are the respective vectors

1.) Find an operator that commutes with H_1 and state its equation of motion
2.) Find an operator that commutes with H_2 and state its equation of motion
3.) Find an operator that commutes with H (and prove that it does)

How do I go about doing this? I can only think of trivial examples, like H_2 commutes with H_1 and vice-versa, and nothing for H.

There is no other information given, so I can't assume this is the helium atom or something.

One non-trivial example of operator satisfying condition 1.) is angular momentum
[itex]\mathbf{L}_1 = [\mathbf{r}_1 \times \mathbf{p}_1] [/itex]. This may give you a clue on how to approach questions 2.) and 3.).

Eugene.

Thanks! Ugh! In fact I had considered angular momentum but I thought that its form was particular to the hydrogen atom. But I guess since there is no phi-dependence on the potential it should work fine. So L1 and L2 work for 1.) and 2.), but how about #3? Will the total angular momentum be conserved? If so, how is it defined? Is it just L = L1 + L2? I tried writing out the Hamiltonians in terms of reduced mass but that didn't seem to do anything.

Is there any classical mechanics reasoning I can use? e.g. with Hamilton's equations?

Last edited:
vincebs said:
but how about #3? Will the total angular momentum be conserved? If so, how is it defined? Is it just L = L1 + L2?

Yes, I think L = L1+L2 should work. You can try to calculate [L,H]=0 explicitly. There is, however, a nicer approach. Try to prove the following equivalent condition

[tex] H = \exp(\frac{i}{\hbar} (\mathbf{L} \cdot \vec{\phi})) H \exp(-\frac{i}{\hbar} (\mathbf{L} \cdot \vec{\phi})) [/tex]

by noticing that for any vector operator [itex] \mathbf{a} [/itex]

[tex] \exp(\frac{i}{\hbar} (\mathbf{L} \cdot \vec{\phi})) \mathbf{a} \exp(-\frac{i}{\hbar} (\mathbf{L} \cdot \vec{\phi})) [/tex]

is the result of rotation of this vector around axis [itex] \vec{\phi} [/itex].

Eugene.

1. How do you determine which operators commute in a quantum mechanics problem?

To determine which operators commute, you must use the commutator, which is defined as [A, B] = AB – BA. If the commutator is equal to zero, then the operators commute. If the commutator is not equal to zero, then the operators do not commute.

2. What is the significance of commuting operators in quantum mechanics?

Commuting operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they represent observables that can be measured simultaneously. This means that the values of these observables can be known with certainty at the same time, allowing for a more accurate understanding of the system.

3. Can all operators commute in a quantum mechanics problem?

No, not all operators can commute in a quantum mechanics problem. The uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of observables, such as position and momentum, cannot be known simultaneously. Therefore, the operators corresponding to these observables cannot commute.

4. How do commuting operators affect the energy levels of a quantum system?

If two operators commute, they share a set of common eigenstates. This means that if one operator is used to measure the energy of a system, the other operator will yield the same energy value. This allows for a more precise determination of the energy levels of a quantum system.

5. How is the concept of commuting operators applied in real-life quantum systems?

The concept of commuting operators is applied in real-life quantum systems in various ways, such as in the quantum mechanical description of atoms and molecules. For example, the angular momentum and Hamiltonian operators commute for an atom in a static magnetic field, allowing for the accurate determination of energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions.