Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Question about force

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    I have an application i am looking at with the following description:
    i have a solenoid with a plunger held in place by a magnetic force. I have to test the breaking force of the magnet to verify it is at least 5 pounds of force. If i hang a 5 pound weight from the plunger and hold it steady it will not break. my test that i am performing is under a bit different circumstances. i am using an electric slide unit to move the solenoid as i hold the plunger in place using a clip attached to a load cell. the load cell gives me feed back to show the amount of force generated. (it has been properly calibrated) When i pull the solenoid at 1mm/sec i never generate 5 pounds of force. i assume it is because of the velocity involved and i was wondering if anyone has any ideas. maybe my load cell isnt updating fast enough but i am thinking maybe there is a difference with a static load versus a moving load in what i should read. but please let me know if you have any ideas.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted