Does Velocity Affect the Measurement of Solenoid Breaking Force?

In summary: Overall, it seems that there may be a difference in the force readings between a static and moving load. In summary, the speaker is testing the breaking force of a solenoid using an electric slide unit and a load cell. However, they are not able to generate 5 pounds of force, possibly due to the velocity of the solenoid. They are seeking ideas for how to overcome this issue.
gfrost
I have an application i am looking at with the following description:
i have a solenoid with a plunger held in place by a magnetic force. I have to test the breaking force of the magnet to verify it is at least 5 pounds of force. If i hang a 5 pound weight from the plunger and hold it steady it will not break. my test that i am performing is under a bit different circumstances. i am using an electric slide unit to move the solenoid as i hold the plunger in place using a clip attached to a load cell. the load cell gives me feed back to show the amount of force generated. (it has been properly calibrated) When i pull the solenoid at 1mm/sec i never generate 5 pounds of force. i assume it is because of the velocity involved and i was wondering if anyone has any ideas. maybe my load cell isn't updating fast enough but i am thinking maybe there is a difference with a static load versus a moving load in what i should read. but please let me know if you have any ideas.
thanks,
george

Physics news on Phys.org
It is likely that the velocity of the solenoid is preventing you from reaching the 5 pound force threshold. When the solenoid is moving, the force it is generating is being spread out over the time that it is in motion, which reduces the overall force generated. You could try increasing the speed of the solenoid to see if that increases the force generated. Additionally, you may need to adjust the calibration of your load cell to account for the dynamic forces generated by the moving solenoid.

Based on the description provided, it seems like you are testing the breaking force of the solenoid by applying a 5 pound weight and measuring the force using a load cell. However, when you use an electric slide unit to move the solenoid, you are not able to generate 5 pounds of force at a velocity of 1mm/sec. This could be due to a few reasons.

Firstly, as you mentioned, the load cell may not be updating fast enough to accurately measure the force at a higher velocity. It is important to ensure that the load cell is capable of measuring forces at the desired velocity and that it is properly calibrated.

Another factor to consider is the difference between a static load and a moving load. In a static load, the force is evenly distributed and does not change, whereas in a moving load, the force can vary depending on the speed and direction of movement. It is possible that the force generated by the solenoid is different when it is moving compared to when it is stationary.

I would suggest conducting further experiments at different velocities to see if the force generated by the solenoid changes. It may also be helpful to consult with an expert in the field of force measurement to get more specific insights and recommendations.

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between objects and causes them to accelerate or deform.

What are the types of forces?

The types of forces include gravity, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear forces.

How is force measured?

Force is measured in newtons (N) using a device called a spring scale or force meter.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of an object's inertia, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in newtons (N).