Adding Diagrams to Posts: Tips and Tricks for Clearer Problem Descriptions

• Thread starter jackthehat
  • Start date
In summary: Make sure everything is in focus and any text labels are readable.I've used this method with my phone's camera once or twice myself, but only when I'm not at home and therefore can't use my scanner. Oh, and one more thing:Rotate the image if necessary, so it's upright and not sideways or upside down. ?:)
jackthehat

Homework Statement

Hi there,
As you will know I am a regular user of this excellent forum and been helped on many an occasion with problems I have posted. One big problem I have found when posting my Physics problems was that I have never been able to include a diagram with my posts. This has on occasion made things difficult as sometimes my descriptions of the problem have been a trifle unclear and so have had to spend time restating and describing aspects of the problem again.
The reason for my oversight in the past is simply that I do not know how to draw a diagram whilst in the editor typing the posting out in words.
Is there a facility to draw a diagram within this text editor ?
If so can someone give me a brief outline on how to do it?
Thank you.

Regards,
JacktheHat

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

None as yet

Physics news on Phys.org
You can draw the diagrams on paper, take photo of it and upload it here using the "upload" button. You can use paint to draw and edit diagrams.

In general - no.

The best option is to prepare the diagram on your computer (using any software you like), export it as an image, and attach to the post.

Math can be done with LaTeX, but that's math only.

cnh1995 said:
You can draw the diagrams on paper, take photo of it and upload it here using the "upload" button.
If you do this, please please please:
  • Resize the image to 800x600 pixels or smaller. Don't make people wait for a 5MB image to download on their phones.
  • Increase the contrast if necessary, so we're not looking at gray lines on a slightly-less-gray background. Black on white is ideal.
  • Make sure everything is in focus and any text labels are readable.
I've used this method with my phone's camera once or twice myself, but only when I'm not at home and therefore can't use my scanner. Oh, and one more thing:
  • Rotate the image if necessary, so it's upright and not sideways or upside down. ?:) Some of us dinosaurs prefer to work at desktop computers where we can't rotate the screen.

Likes dlgoff, davenn and Ibix
jtbell said:
If you do this, please please please:
  • Resize the image to 800x600 pixels or smaller. Don't make people wait for a 5MB image to download on their phones.
And crop the image, so that it shows only the important part, and not a whole (mostly empty) page.

Likes dlgoff and davenn

What is a diagram?

A diagram is a visual representation of information, typically using lines, symbols, and labels to show the relationships between different concepts or data points. They are often used in science to help explain complex ideas and make information easier to understand.

Why are diagrams important in science?

Diagrams are important in science because they can help researchers communicate their findings and theories in a more accessible way. They can also help scientists better understand complex systems and relationships between different variables.

What are the different types of diagrams used in science?

There are many different types of diagrams used in science, including flowcharts, graphs, maps, and diagrams that show the structure of molecules or cells. Each type of diagram is used to represent different types of information and relationships.

How do scientists decide which type of diagram to use?

Scientists typically choose a type of diagram based on the type of data they are trying to represent. For example, a graph might be used to show changes in data over time, while a flowchart might be used to show a step-by-step process. It is important for scientists to choose a diagram that best represents the information they are trying to convey.

Can diagrams be used to make predictions?

Yes, diagrams can be used to make predictions in science. By analyzing the relationships and patterns shown in a diagram, scientists can make hypotheses and predictions about future experiments or observations. However, it is important to note that these predictions are not always accurate and further research is often needed to confirm them.