Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General question on diagrams

1. Jun 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there,
    As you will know I am a regular user of this excellent forum and been helped on many an occasion with problems I have posted. One big problem I have found when posting my Physics problems was that I have never been able to include a diagram with my posts. This has on occasion made things difficult as sometimes my descriptions of the problem have been a trifle unclear and so have had to spend time restating and describing aspects of the problem again.
    The reason for my oversight in the past is simply that I do not know how to draw a diagram whilst in the editor typing the posting out in words.
    Is there a facility to draw a diagram within this text editor ?
    If so can someone give me a brief outline on how to do it?
    Thank you.

Regards,
    JacktheHat

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    None as yet

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

You can draw the diagrams on paper, take photo of it and upload it here using the "upload" button. You can use paint to draw and edit diagrams.

4. Jun 9, 2016 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

In general - no.

The best option is to prepare the diagram on your computer (using any software you like), export it as an image, and attach to the post.

Math can be done with LaTeX, but that's math only.

5. Jun 9, 2016 #4

jtbell

If you do this, please please please:
    • Resize the image to 800x600 pixels or smaller. Don't make people wait for a 5MB image to download on their phones.
    • Increase the contrast if necessary, so we're not looking at gray lines on a slightly-less-gray background. Black on white is ideal.
    • Make sure everything is in focus and any text labels are readable.
    I've used this method with my phone's camera once or twice myself, but only when I'm not at home and therefore can't use my scanner. Oh, and one more thing:
    • Rotate the image if necessary, so it's upright and not sideways or upside down. ?:) Some of us dinosaurs prefer to work at desktop computers where we can't rotate the screen.

6. Jun 9, 2016 #5

Borek

And crop the image, so that it shows only the important part, and not a whole (mostly empty) page.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted