Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General question on fulcrum

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1

I am a drummer and have a question in regards to mounting my cymbals. If you have a look at this picture to give a frame of reference: https://www.americandrumschool.com/store/images/boom stand BS-70D.jpg.

Thy cymbal mounts on the top where the black felts are. My question is, if I extend the length of the boom arm, does that make the joint/fulcrum at the top of the vertical part of the stand work harder?

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The joint (pivot) would certainly have a harder time of keeping the boom in place.

Strictly speaking, we wouldn't say it's "working harder"; no movement is taking place so no "work" is being done. More correctly, a bigger "turning moment" (or torque) is being encountered at the joint.
  4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    Got it. Thank you. So by keeping the boom as short as possible I am decreasing the wear and tear on the the joint.
  5. Sep 9, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Theoretically, yes. However, if you've bought reasonably decent stands, then they'll have been designed to withstand the torque encountered at full extension, and to withstand the repeated adjustments and disassembly/reassembly caused by heavy gigging.

I really wouldn't worry about it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?