Drummers Guide: Understanding the Impact of Fulcrum on Cymbal Mounting

In summary, the conversation is about mounting cymbals on a drum set and the concern of the joint working harder if the boom arm is extended. It is clarified that the joint is not necessarily working harder, but a bigger turning moment is being encountered. The advice is to not worry about it and use reasonably decent stands that can withstand the torque and repeated adjustments from gigging.
karate718
Hi,

I am a drummer and have a question in regards to mounting my cymbals. If you have a look at this picture to give a frame of reference: https://www.americandrumschool.com/store/images/boom%20stand%20BS-70D.jpg .

Thy cymbal mounts on the top where the black felts are. My question is, if I extend the length of the boom arm, does that make the joint/fulcrum at the top of the vertical part of the stand work harder?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The joint (pivot) would certainly have a harder time of keeping the boom in place.

Strictly speaking, we wouldn't say it's "working harder"; no movement is taking place so no "work" is being done. More correctly, a bigger "turning moment" (or torque) is being encountered at the joint.

Got it. Thank you. So by keeping the boom as short as possible I am decreasing the wear and tear on the the joint.

karate718 said:
Got it. Thank you. So by keeping the boom as short as possible I am decreasing the wear and tear on the the joint.

Theoretically, yes. However, if you've bought reasonably decent stands, then they'll have been designed to withstand the torque encountered at full extension, and to withstand the repeated adjustments and disassembly/reassembly caused by heavy gigging.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

What is a fulcrum and how does it work?

A fulcrum is a fixed point on which a lever pivots. It works by balancing the weight or force applied on one end of the lever with an equal or greater force on the other end, allowing for efficient movement or lifting of heavy objects.

What are the different types of fulcrums?

There are three types of fulcrums: first class, second class, and third class. First class fulcrums have the pivot point between the effort and the load, second class fulcrums have the load between the pivot point and the effort, and third class fulcrums have the effort between the pivot point and the load.

Can a fulcrum be moved?

No, a fulcrum is a fixed point and cannot be moved. Moving the fulcrum would change the balance and make it difficult to lift or move objects using a lever.

What is the principle behind a fulcrum?

The principle behind a fulcrum is based on the law of the lever, which states that the weight of the lever and the load on one end must be equal to the effort applied on the other end multiplied by the distance from the fulcrum.

What are some real-world applications of a fulcrum?

Fulcrums are used in various tools and machines, such as seesaws, scissors, pliers, and even in the human body (e.g. elbow joint). They are also essential in construction and engineering, where levers and pulleys are used to lift heavy objects or move materials.