1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General question on Malus' Law

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    No specific question, just studying for the physics GRE and making sure that I remember all this correctly. Can someone verify or deny my rational? Here I go:

Say we have three linear polarizers in series, where [tex]\theta_1=0[/tex], and [tex]\theta_2=45^o[/tex] and [tex]\theta_3=90^o[/tex]. An incident beam of light (with intensity [tex]I_o[/tex]) goes through the first polarizer and loses half it's intensity, since the time average of Malus' law is equal to [tex]\frac{I_o}{2}[/tex]. Now, after the now diminished light passes through the second polarizer (oriented [tex]45^o[/tex] with respect to the first), the intensity is given by

So, when it passes through the third polarizer, the incident intensity is equal to [tex]\frac{I_o}{4}[/tex] and [tex]\theta_3=45^o[/tex]. This is where I'm confused. [tex]\theta_3=45^o[/tex] is the angle we choose because it is always with respect to the previous filter, not the original, since in that case we have [tex]\theta_3=90^o[/tex] and Malus' law warrants a big fat zero. So, the resultant intensity is equal to [tex]\frac{I_o}{8}[/tex].

Also: can an analysis of this sort be done with polarizers of different types (circular, elliptical)? I would assume that the equation would be somewhat different, but I would think that the general idea could be extended. Thanks yall

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted