Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Question on Subspaces

1. May 10, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I have a theoretical question on subspaces. Consider the space Rn. The zero vector is indeed a subspace of Rn. However, if I am not mistaken, the zero vector has no orthonormal basis, even though it is a subspace. I thought all subspaces have an orthonormal basis (or is it all subspaces of n dimensions?). Can anyone shed any light on where I am going wrong here?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, technically speaking, the subspace is not the zero vector but the set containing the zero vector. That is ##\{0\}## is the subspace of ##\mathbb{R}^n##.

The empty set would be the orthonormal basis for ##\{0\}##. Depending on your definitions, this is either a convention or provable.

For a subset ##X## of a vector space ##V##, I can define ##\textrm{span}(X)## the smallest subspace of ##V## containing ##X##. Under this definition, we see that ##\textrm{span}(\emptyset) = \{0\}##. Furthermore, it is vacuous truth that any two elements in ##\emptyset## are orthogonal since it has no elements to begin with.

4. May 10, 2014 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a practical matter {0} is zero dimensional. Most discussions about subspaces usually assume at least one dimension.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook