1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Question

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    this is my first post and im new here so forgive me if this is in the wrong forum but I have a general question to ask and I couldn't find a suitable section in the forums. Here it goes: If I were to post some theories of mine, is my intellectual property protected if whatever I post so happens to be true? Ha perhaps I should go a Law and Order forum. But seriously I have found some mathematical patterns and I've also done lots of thinking about gravity and time and some of the conclusions I've came to yeild interesting results. However I don't want just guy taking my ideas and claiming them to be their own. Hope my question doesnt come off as defensive or arrogant I just dont want someone taking credit for my work.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

If one discusses one's theories in the public domain, one basically surrenders one's rights to control the work. One could claim originality only by virtue of the date of disclosure, and assuming that no one else has published the same idea.

Secondly, we do not permit personal theories in the main forums, but we have an Independent Research (IR) forum in which people may submit research for discussion. However, we have a rigorous set of criteria with which one must comply in order to have the submission accepted, e.g. one must provide a review of prior work in the field, and describe what is new and original about one's work and how it fills the holes in the existing body of knowledge. Failure to do so will result in rejection of the submittal, which is maintained in moderation out of the public view unless accepted.

See the IR Submission Guidelines here - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82301
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?