What are some common applications of Laplace's equation in E&M?

• Thread starter IHateMayonnaise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation discusses questions and concepts related to electric and magnetic fields. The first question addresses the conditions necessary for both the monopole and dipole moments to be zero in a given charge distribution. The answer involves the first non-zero term in the multipole expansion being equal to zero, as well as the charge distribution representing the rate at which the field falls off. The second question explores the conditions for using Laplace's equation instead of Poisson's equation in determining electric potential, with the only necessary condition being a charge distribution of zero. Finally, the conversation delves into a discussion of the differences between Poisson's and Laplace's equations and their uses in different scenarios.
IHateMayonnaise
[SOLVED] General questions in E&M

I have a few questions regarding some concepts I'd like to clear up in my upper level undergraduate E&M course. I have a test tomorrow, and my professor is big on essay questions explaining the theory behind our current material. So, I'm going to write down the concepts I'm not clear on, and then try to explain them best I can. I figure that even if nobody replies I can at least try to straighten some things out on my own by writing them down. PLEASE say something if I'm wrong or if I left something out. Here I go:

1) For a given charge distribution, what are the physical conditions required in order for both the monopole moment and dipole moment to be zero? (i.e., if you have a quadripole or octipole, and you tried to calculate the potential of the charge distribution due to a monopole or dipole, why would it be equal to zero?)

The only physical significance I can think of deals with the nature of the answer from multipole expansions - they are approximations. The first non-zero term in the sum dominates, and each subsequent term merely adds precision. So, if we have a quadripole (n=2), we know that the potential must fall off at a rate of 1/r^2. So, the first term in the sum MUST be equal to zero in order for this to be true:

[tex]V(r)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{r'^{n+1}}\int{(r')^nP_n(cos(\theta))\roe(r')d\tau}}
[/tex]

Are there any other physical dependents?

2) What conditions are necessary to allow the use of Laplace's equation instead of Poisson's equation in the determination of the electric potential?

The only condition I can think of is that the charge in the area you are measuring must be zero...since Laplace's equation IS Poisson's equation with a charge density equal to zero. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose the most physical thing I can say is that the charge distributions simply represent how fast the field falls away. If you have a couple charges in a dipole configuration then it will look zero pretty far away. If you have a few charges then they will cancel each other's fields even quicker, and eight charges even quicker than that!

I mean, it's a series of inverse powers, so all the powers have to be in there somewhere. The choice of origin, your observation point, will also (somewhat obviously) effect the potential.

For the second part I don't believe you are missing anything.

For Part 1:

First, the quadrupole potential falls off as 1/r^3, not 1/r^2.

Secondly, your explanation is a bit circular. To answer the question, think about what sort of charge distribution might have

1. No net charge, and

2. No net dipole moment.

Hint: The simplest such charge distribution is an arrangement of four point charges. Hence the term "quadrupole". What can you add to a dipole to "cancel it out"?

IMO the Poisson equation is more general, since it allow a distribution of the charge to be accounted for by the RHS term. When the distribution of the charge is not a concern, (e.g. when charges are concentrated at one point or when a rough mean field is wanted at a farfield), Laplace equation can be of good use.

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by stationary electric charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. Electric fields exert a force on other electric charges, while magnetic fields exert a force on moving electric charges.

2. How do you calculate the strength of an electromagnetic field?

The strength of an electromagnetic field can be calculated using the formula F = qE + qv x B, where F is the force on a charge q, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the charge, and B is the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between direct and alternating current?

Direct current (DC) flows in one direction, while alternating current (AC) changes direction periodically. DC is typically used in batteries and electronic devices, while AC is used in power grids.

4. What is the relationship between electric charge and electric force?

The strength of the electric force between two charges is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law.

5. What are some applications of electromagnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields have a wide range of applications, including electricity generation, communication systems, medical imaging, and electric motors. They also play a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices such as cell phones and computers.