1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Reimann sum questions

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    I have a homework question which asks about Reimann sums (which I feel relatively comfortable with), but I just don't know what they're asking. Here's the image

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38457740/maff.bmp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2
    For the second one there, what is the sum of all numbers between 1 and n?

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Found out I'm not following at least a couple rules to the forum, but it wouldn't let me delete my post. :/

40, obviously, is my attempt at problem one, but that was with the help of a teacher (not sure if it's correct yet..)

To answer your question, wouldn't that just be the given part of the problem, condensed to (n^2-n)/2?

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4
    Close, but not quite the right formula. The condensed form that they gave is ##\frac{n^2 + n}{2}##, is that what you meant?

6. Aug 30, 2012 #5
    Whoops, yeah I switched the sign.

Part of what's confusing me is the j=41 under each sigma, where I'm used to seeing 0 or 1. When the function is j or j^2, etc, does this mean that the start point is 41 and 41^2, respectively?

I'm not sure if this even helps me solve the problem, but I'm trying to get a grip on what every variable means here.

7. Aug 30, 2012 #6

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I think the main idea is : Sum from 1 to n -(sum from 41 to n )= ....

8. Aug 31, 2012 #7
    These do start with 41 and 41^2 instead of 1 and 1^2, but the formula they have (the ##\frac{x(x+1)}{2}##) is for the sequence that starts with 1.

So that means that you can rewrite the formula given as a sigma notation from 1 to n and then simplify from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook