General Relativity & Differential Geometry Q&A

In summary, the speaker is studying general relativity and has a question about dividing the 2-sphere into charts. They mention that the coordinate system (theta, phi) can cover the whole sphere, but when dividing into four charts, each will have its own coordinate system and metric formula. They also discuss the discontinuity of the metric tensor at the Greenwich Meridian.
shereen1
Dear all
I am studying general relativity and i have a question as follow. We have the 2- sphere can be scanned totally by a coordinate system (theta, phi) with the metric tensor written in terms of theta and phi. Now i want to divide the 2-sphere into charts 4 charts then each will have its own coordinate system. Then what will happen for the metric? initially we were having the same formula for the metric for the whole sphere but now shall i say that each chart will have its own metric formula?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that, although the spherical coordinate system covers the whole sphere, the coordinate representation of the metric tensor is discontinuous in that coordinate system at the Greenwich Meridian, where the longitude flips from 0 to 360 degrees. So in fact we don't initially have the same formula for the metric tensor everywhere on the sphere, because there will always be a half-great-circle for which it (the formula, not the tensor itself) is undefined. I think you need at least two charts to cover a sphere, and they will have different coordinate representations of the metric tensor.

Likes shereen1 and bcrowell
shereen1 said:
Dear all
I am studying general relativity and i have a question as follow. We have the 2- sphere can be scanned totally by a coordinate system (theta, phi) with the metric tensor written in terms of theta and phi. Now i want to divide the 2-sphere into charts 4 charts then each will have its own coordinate system. Then what will happen for the metric? initially we were having the same formula for the metric for the whole sphere but now shall i say that each chart will have its own metric formula?
Thank you

If you have a chart with coordinates [itex](X,Y)[/itex], then you will have metric components [itex]g_{XX}, g_{XY}, g_{YX}, g_{YY}[/itex]. These will be related to the metric components for [itex](\theta, \phi)[/itex] through:

[itex]g_{IJ} = \sum_{ij} g_{ij} \dfrac{\partial x^i}{\partial X^I} \dfrac{\partial x^j}{\partial X^J}[/itex]

where [itex]I, J, i, j[/itex] take values [itex]1[/itex] and [itex]2[/itex], and where [itex]X^1 = X, X^2 = Y, x^1 = \theta, x^2 = \phi[/itex].

Likes shereen1

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects in the universe affect the fabric of space and time, and how this in turn affects the motion of other objects.

2. How does General Relativity differ from Newtonian gravity?

While Newtonian gravity is based on the concept of a force acting between objects, General Relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. This theory also predicts phenomena that cannot be explained by Newtonian gravity, such as the bending of light around massive objects and the existence of black holes.

3. What is Differential Geometry?

Differential Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves and surfaces in multi-dimensional spaces. It provides the mathematical framework for understanding the curvature of space and time in General Relativity.

4. How has General Relativity been tested and proven?

General Relativity has been extensively tested and proven through various experiments, including the famous observation of the bending of starlight during a solar eclipse, as predicted by the theory. Other tests include the accurate prediction of the precession of Mercury's orbit, the existence of gravitational waves, and the behavior of clocks in different gravitational fields.

5. What are the implications of General Relativity for our understanding of the universe?

General Relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe, as it has provided a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of the force of gravity. It has also played a crucial role in the development of cosmology, the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. Additionally, General Relativity has led to the development of technologies such as GPS and has opened up new possibilities for space exploration and the discovery of distant objects in the universe.