General Relativity Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that equation (3.16) implies (3.17). It is suggested to integrate and use new quantities defined in (3.18) to get the compact form of (3.17). Further discussion also addresses physical questions and attempts to obtain the integral. The process of integrating is explained by setting up a partial fractions equation and matching coefficients. Ultimately, it is recommended to expand and multiply by r^2 for clarity.
latentcorpse
So I am trying to verify a couple of things on p59 of this document
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/9707/9707012v1.pdf

How do we show eqn (3.16) implies (3.17)?

I keep getting bogged down on the maths. Could someone outline the method?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like they just integrated 3.16 and defined some new quantities(3.18) to get the compact form of 3.17

kreil said:
It looks like they just integrated 3.16 and defined some new quantities(3.18) to get the compact form of 3.17

Yeah but actually doing that integration is not going well. I'm trying to do it with partial fractions. Do you reckon that's the best approach?

At a glance that does appear to be the best approach. Equation 3.8 tells you that

[tex]r^2-2Mr+Q^2= (r-r_+)(r-r_-)=r^2(1-2M/r+Q^2/r^2)[/tex]

which means we can rewrite the integrand as

[tex] \frac{1}{1-\frac{2M}{r}+\frac{Q^2}{r^2}}=\frac{r^2}{(r-r_+)(r-r_-)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Well, you can do the integration in 3.16 with the variables M and Q and then reverse 3.9 to obtain the equation 3.17 with the definitions of 3.18.

bigubau said:
Well, you can do the integration in 3.16 with the variables M and Q and then reverse 3.9 to obtain the equation 3.17 with the definitions of 3.18.

Ok. I'll have a go at that. I have a couple of other physical questions though:

(i) On page 67, just before section 3.3, he asks
whether or not it is science fiction that a criminal could possibly escape justice by traveling from universe I to universe I' on a timelike path (see diagram on p66).
I'm sure he explained why this is in fact science fiction and unphysical but I can't remember and cannot figure it out for myself. I mean, everything looks OK since he is on a timelike path. What's the problem with this? Is it because we have to cross a Cauchy horizon?

(ii) Assuming it were possible to to cross the Cauchy horizon, we are now in the [itex]r < r_{-}[/itex] region where there is a curvature singularity. Surely now that we are in a black hole region, there is no way to cross the horizon and get into region I'?

Thanks.

Edit: I had a go at getting the integral:

[itex]\frac{dr^*}{dr}=\frac{r^2}{(r-r_+)(r-r_-)} = \frac{A}{r-r_+} + \frac{B}{r-r_-}[/itex]
Then, by heavyside cover up method, we get
[itex]A=\frac{r_+^2}{r_+-r_-} \quad B = \frac{r_-^2}{r_--r_+}[/itex]
So
[itex]\frac{dr^*}{dr} = \frac{r_+^2}{r_+-r_-} \frac{1}{r-r_+} + \frac{r_-^2}{r_--r_+} \frac{1}{r-r_-}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow r^*(r) = \frac{r_+^2}{r_+-r_-} \ln{|r-r_+|} + \frac{r_-^2}{r_--r_+} \ln{|r-r_-|}[/itex]

But it's still a little bit off...

Last edited:
latentcorpse said:
Edit: I had a go at getting the integral:

[itex]\frac{dr^*}{dr}=\frac{r^2}{(r-r_+)(r-r_-)} = \frac{A}{r-r_+} + \frac{B}{r-r_-}[/itex]
Then, by heavyside cover up method, we get
[itex]A=\frac{r_+^2}{r_+-r_-} \quad B = \frac{r_-^2}{r_--r_+}[/itex]

This should be

[itex]A=\frac{r^2}{r_+-r_-} \quad B = \frac{r^2}{r_--r_+}[/itex]

He also shifts the integration constant so that the arguments of the logarithms are dimensionless.

As for the criminal, section 3.3 explains the physics.

fzero said:
This should be

[itex]A=\frac{r^2}{r_+-r_-} \quad B = \frac{r^2}{r_--r_+}[/itex]

He also shifts the integration constant so that the arguments of the logarithms are dimensionless.

As for the criminal, section 3.3 explains the physics.

How did you get that, we had:

if we multiply through by [itex]r-r_+[/itex] we get:
[itex]\frac{r^2}{(r-r_-)}=A + \frac{B(r-r_+)}{r-r_-}[/itex]
Then to get rid of the B term we set [itex]r=r_+[/itex] giving
[itex]\frac{r_+^2}{r_+-r_-}=A[/itex]

latentcorpse said:

And as for the criminal explanation in section 3.3, I assume you're referring to the first paragraph of 3.3 (as the rest doesn't seem that relevant) but I don't see how this explains it?

latentcorpse said:

That's true when [itex]r=r_+[/itex], but we need an expression that's valid for all [tex]r[/tex] in order to integrate. Multiply through by [tex]r-r_-[/tex] as well and match coefficients.

fzero said:
That's true when [itex]r=r_+[/itex], but we need an expression that's valid for all [tex]r[/tex] in order to integrate. Multiply through by [tex]r-r_-[/tex] as well and match coefficients.

But that gives

[itex]r^2=A(r-r_-)+B(r-r_+) \Rightarrow r^2=(A+B)r - A r_- - Br_+[/itex]
Doesn't that seem to imply that [itex]A=B=0[/itex]?

latentcorpse said:
But that gives

[itex]r^2=A(r-r_-)+B(r-r_+) \Rightarrow r^2=(A+B)r - A r_- - Br_+[/itex]
Doesn't that seem to imply that [itex]A=B=0[/itex]?

No, because [tex]A,B[/tex] can depend on [tex]r[/tex]. I gave you the answer already, at least try to verify that it works.

fzero said:
No, because [tex]A,B[/tex] can depend on [tex]r[/tex]. I gave you the answer already, at least try to verify that it works.

Hi. I've just reviewed partial fractions and still don't see how you managed to keep that as an r and not an r_+?

Am I right to set [itex]\frac{r^2}{(r-r_-)(r-r_+)}[/itex]?
If so, I don't see how we can avoid having to set [itex]r=r_\pm[/itex] when we solve for either A or B?

latentcorpse said:
Hi. I've just reviewed partial fractions and still don't see how you managed to keep that as an r and not an r_+?

Am I right to set [itex]\frac{r^2}{(r-r_-)(r-r_+)}[/itex]?
If so, I don't see how we can avoid having to set [itex]r=r_\pm[/itex] when we solve for either A or B?

It's much less confusing to expand

[itex]\frac{1}{(r-r_-)(r-r_+)}[/itex]

and multiply by the [tex]r^2[/tex] afterwards.

fzero said:
It's much less confusing to expand

[itex]\frac{1}{(r-r_-)(r-r_+)}[/itex]

and multiply by the [tex]r^2[/tex] afterwards.

Ok. So (finally!) I got to

[itex]\frac{dr^*}{dr} = \frac{1}{r_--r_+} \int \frac{r^2}{r-r_-}dr + \frac{1}{r_+-r_-} \int \frac{r^2}{r-r_+} dr[/itex]

Now I'm sure there's something else I need to do before I integrate this so that I can get the r term on its own like in the answer. Any advice?

No, you just need to do the integrals. Townsend shifts the integration constant to make the arguments of the logarithms dimensionless, but this does not change the terms proportional to [tex]r[/tex].

fzero said:
No, you just need to do the integrals. Townsend shifts the integration constant to make the arguments of the logarithms dimensionless, but this does not change the terms proportional to [tex]r[/tex].

So to do those integrals I need to first use algebraic long division, right?

For the + term I get

[itex]\frac{r^2}{r-r_+}=r+r_++\frac{r_+^2}{r-r_+}[/itex]
This integrates to

[itex]\int \frac{r^2}{r-r_+}=\frac{r^2}{2} + rr_+ + r_+^2 \ln{|r-r_+|}[/itex]
I checked this on Wolfram Alpha and they have the same.

So using the prefactor we would get:

[itex]\frac{1}{r_+-r_-} \int \frac{r^2}{r-r_+} dr = \frac{r^2}{2(r_+-r_-)}+\frac{rr_+}{r_+-r_-}+\frac{r_+^2}{r_+-r_-} \ln{|r-r_+|}[/itex]

Now, one problem is that my ln term doesn't have a factor of [itex]\frac{1}{r_+}[/itex]?

Last edited:
latentcorpse said:
Now, one problem is that my ln term doesn't have a factor of [itex]\frac{1}{r_+}[/itex]?

As I told you, that comes from shifting the integration constant.

fzero said:
As I told you, that comes from shifting the integration constant.

As in [itex]c \rightarrow c' - \ln{r_+}[/itex]?

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects in the universe interact with each other and how this interaction causes space and time to curve.

2. How is General Relativity used in calculations?

General Relativity is used in calculations to predict the behavior of massive objects in the universe, such as planets and stars. This theory is particularly useful in understanding the motion of objects in strong gravitational fields, such as near black holes.

3. What are the main equations used in General Relativity calculations?

The main equations used in General Relativity calculations are the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. These equations are complex and involve mathematical concepts such as tensors and differential geometry.

4. How accurate are General Relativity calculations?

General Relativity calculations have been extensively tested and have been found to be highly accurate in predicting the behavior of massive objects in the universe. This theory has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations, including the famous bending of starlight near the sun during a solar eclipse.

5. Are there any limitations to General Relativity calculations?

While General Relativity is a highly accurate theory, it does have its limitations. It does not account for the behavior of objects at the quantum level, and it breaks down in extreme conditions, such as at the center of a black hole. Therefore, scientists are still working to develop a more complete understanding of gravity through theories such as quantum gravity.