1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Relativity, Energy-momentum tensor

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In Minkowski space, we are given a scalar field [itex]\phi[/itex] with action
    [itex] S= \int d\Omega (\frac{-1}{2}\phi^{,a}\phi_{,a} - \frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2)[/itex]

We need to calculate the "translation-invariance" energy-momentum tensor:
    [itex] T^a_b = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi_{,a}} \phi_{,b} - \mathcal{L}\delta^a_b[/itex]

and then rewrite the action in a generally covariant form, and calculate its "metric" energy-momentum tensor
    [itex] \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{-g}T_{ab} = -\frac{\delta(\sqrt{-g}\mathcal{L}}{\delta g^{ab}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    The action of matter (non-gravitational field) is given by
    [itex] S_m = \int \mathcal{L}\sqrt{-g}d\Omega[/itex]
    Because we are in minkowski space [itex]\sqrt{-g} = 1[/itex], because g is the determinant of the metric tensor.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first part, where we have to calculate the translation-invariance metric tensor I have used, that the equation in the action integral, is the Lagrangian, and then we get
    [itex]T^a_b = \frac{\partial (\frac{-1}{2}\phi^{,c}\phi_{,c} - \frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2)}{\partial \phi_{,a}} \phi_{,b} - \frac{-1}{2}\phi^{,c}\phi_{,c} - \frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2\delta^a_b[/itex]
    which give some more or less ugly result.

On the other part, where we have to calculate the metric energy-momentum tensor, I would say that, because the lagrangian does not depend on the metric, we get that
    [itex] \frac{\delta(\sqrt{-g} \mathcal{L})}{\delta g^{ab}} = 0[/itex].

But I'm not sure if this is legal, or if I have to write the derivatives in the action, as the covariant derivatives, include the Christoffel symbols, and vary them with the metric tensor, and see what I get.

Your help is much appreciated

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?