General Relativity - FRW Metric

In summary, the FRW metric, equations, and density parameter were discussed in this conversation. The equations for the metric are given, as well as the FRW equations. The density parameter was also expressed in terms of a and H, and it was found that H^2=8πG3ρ=H0a−3(1+wI). For part (b), the density parameter was expressed as a function of a and it was found that Ω=8πG3H02ρIa−3(1+wI). Finally, for part (c), the values of w were determined to prevent a singularity, and an expression for the deceleration parameter and redshift were found.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) Find the FRW metric, equations and density parameter. Express the density parameter in terms of a and H.
(b) Express density parameter as a function of a where density dominates and find values of w.
(c) If curvature is negligible, what values must w be to prevent a singularity? Find a.
(d) Find an expression for the deceleration parameter and redshift.
2014_B5_Q3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Part(a)
The metric is given by
[tex] ds^2 = c^2 dt^2 - a(t)^2 \left[ \frac{dr^2}{1-kr^2} + r^2(d\theta^2 + sin^2 \theta d\phi^2) \right] [/tex]
The FRW equations are
[tex] \left( \frac{\dot a}{a} \right)^2 = \frac{8 \pi G \rho_I}{3} + \frac{1}{3} \Lambda c^2 - \frac{kc^2}{a^2 (t)}[/tex]
[tex] \ddot a(t) = -\frac{4\pi G}{3} \left(\rho_I + \frac{3P}{c^2} \right) a(t) + \frac{1}{3} \Lambda c^2 a(t) [/tex]
Density parameter is given by
[tex]\Omega = \frac{8\pi G}{3H^2}\left( \rho_I + \frac{\Lambda c^2}{8 \pi G} - \frac{3 kc^2}{8 \pi G} \right)[/tex]

How do I express it in terms of ##a## and ##H## only? I know that ##\rho_I \propto a^{-3(1+w_I)} = \rho_I(0) a^{-3(1+w_I)} ##

This is as far as I can go. Would appreciate any input, many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bumpp

bumpp

bumpp

bumpp

bumpp

bumpp

bumpp

Managed some progress with part (a)! I think they are looking for ##H^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho = H_0a^{-3(1+w_I)}##.

For part (b), I think they want ##\Omega = \frac{8 \pi G}{3 H_0^2} \rho_I a^{-3(1+w_I)}##.

I suppose the confusion was that I thought ##\rho_I = \rho_{I,0} a^{-3(1+w_I)}## when in fact they use ##\rho_I## as the density of today.

1. What is the FRW metric in General Relativity?

The Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker (FRW) metric is a mathematical representation of the expanding universe in General Relativity. It describes the geometry of space-time and how it changes over time in an isotropic and homogeneous way.

2. How does the FRW metric relate to the expanding universe?

The FRW metric is a key component of the Standard Model of Cosmology, which explains the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. It describes how the universe expands and how matter and energy are distributed throughout space-time.

3. What are the key elements of the FRW metric?

The FRW metric is based on four key elements: the scale factor, the curvature of space-time, the density of matter and energy, and the cosmological constant. These elements determine the overall geometry and dynamics of the universe.

4. How does the FRW metric support the theory of General Relativity?

The FRW metric is derived from Einstein's field equations, which are the cornerstone of General Relativity. It describes how the curvature of space-time is influenced by the distribution of matter and energy, and how this curvature affects the motion of objects in the universe.

5. What are some of the implications of the FRW metric for our understanding of the universe?

The FRW metric has provided a framework for understanding the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe, including the concept of an expanding universe and the Big Bang theory. It also helps us understand the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, and the effects of dark matter and dark energy on its expansion.