1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Relativity - FRW Metric

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) Find the FRW metric, equations and density parameter. Express the density parameter in terms of a and H.
    (b) Express density parameter as a function of a where density dominates and find values of w.
    (c) If curvature is negligible, what values must w be to prevent a singularity? Find a.
    (d) Find an expression for the deceleration parameter and redshift.
    2014_B5_Q3.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part(a)
    The metric is given by
    [tex] ds^2 = c^2 dt^2 - a(t)^2 \left[ \frac{dr^2}{1-kr^2} + r^2(d\theta^2 + sin^2 \theta d\phi^2) \right] [/tex]
    The FRW equations are
    [tex] \left( \frac{\dot a}{a} \right)^2 = \frac{8 \pi G \rho_I}{3} + \frac{1}{3} \Lambda c^2 - \frac{kc^2}{a^2 (t)}[/tex]
    [tex] \ddot a(t) = -\frac{4\pi G}{3} \left(\rho_I + \frac{3P}{c^2} \right) a(t) + \frac{1}{3} \Lambda c^2 a(t) [/tex]
    Density parameter is given by
    [tex]\Omega = \frac{8\pi G}{3H^2}\left( \rho_I + \frac{\Lambda c^2}{8 \pi G} - \frac{3 kc^2}{8 \pi G} \right)[/tex]

How do I express it in terms of ##a## and ##H## only? I know that ##\rho_I \propto a^{-3(1+w_I)} = \rho_I(0) a^{-3(1+w_I)} ##

This is as far as I can go. Would appreciate any input, many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2
  4. Apr 18, 2015 #3
    bumpp

5. Apr 19, 2015 #4
  6. Apr 20, 2015 #5
    bumpp

7. Apr 22, 2015 #6
  8. Apr 23, 2015 #7
  9. Apr 24, 2015 #8
  10. Apr 25, 2015 #9
    Managed some progress with part (a)! I think they are looking for ##H^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho = H_0a^{-3(1+w_I)}##.

For part (b), I think they want ##\Omega = \frac{8 \pi G}{3 H_0^2} \rho_I a^{-3(1+w_I)}##.

I suppose the confusion was that I thought ##\rho_I = \rho_{I,0} a^{-3(1+w_I)}## when in fact they use ##\rho_I## as the density of today.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted