General Relativity: Finding Info on Interpretation

In summary, the conversation is about the poster's polite request for information regarding the orthodox interpretation of general relativity, along with other interpretations and where to find more information about them. This request is not meant to spark any discussion or debate about interpretation or philosophy, and the poster hopes that it does not violate any operating principles of Physics Forums. The conversation also touches on the topic of Lorentz's interpretation of special relativity and its relation to absolute space and time. However, per PF rules, this topic is off-topic and the thread is closed.
Cerenkov
Hello.

I have some questions about general relativity that (I hope) will be permitted in this forum.
Not long ago I discovered that there is more than one interpretation of GR. Now, I believe that the issue of interpretation is considered to be philosophy and therefore off topic. If that's so, then please let me reassure the Moderators that I do not wish to discuss philosophy at all. I do not wish to break any rules, breach any guidelines or bring anything unwanted into Physics Forums. All I would like is some assistance in finding out the following, please.

1. What is the orthodox interpretation of general relativity called?
2. Where can I discover more about it?
3. What are the other interpretations called?
4. Where can I discover more about them?

These are simply polite requests for information that lies outside of this forum. No discussion, debate or further dialogue about interpretation or philosophy is needed or is desirable beyond said information. All I am hoping for is for someone in the know to point me in the right direction. Nothing more.

I sincerely hope that this request does not violate any of the operating principles of Physics Forums.

Many thanks,

Cerenkov.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cerenkov said:
Not long ago I discovered that there is more than one interpretation of GR.

Please give a specific reference. Without one we don't know what you're talking about.

I didn’t know there were multiple interpretations of GR. I know of two recognized interpretations of SR, but not GR.

Last edited:
Maybe the TS refers to the spin-2 interpretation, i.e. Fierz-Pauli description.

Likes Ringo Hendrix
To PeterDonis...

Thank you for getting back to me. On taking a second look, it seems that I messed up and wrote 'general' by mistake.

Here is the relevant link.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/lorentzian-relativity.298185/

Tam Hunt quotes (Karl?) Popper.

"[W]e have to give up Einstein's interpretation of special relativity and return to Lorentz's interpretation and with it to … absolute space and time... The reason for this assertion is that the mere existence of an infinite velocity entails [the existence] of an absolute simultaneity and thereby of an absolute space. Whether or not an infinite velocity can be attained in the transmission of signals is irrelevant for this argument: the one inertial system for which Einsteinian simultaneity coincides with absolute simultaneity … would be the system at absolute rest – whether or not this system of absolute rest can be experimentally identified."

Oops! (insert embarrassment emoji here)

Dale is quite right and in the light of my error I think this thread best be closed.

Sorry again.

Cerenkov.

Cerenkov said:
Here is the relevant link.

Ok. Yes, this refers to LET, which, historically, was an alternate interpretation of SR. But per PF rules, it is off topic for discussion here.

Thread closed.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how the force of gravity affects the motion of objects in space and time.

2. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity, also developed by Einstein, deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial reference frames and includes the effects of gravity.

3. What is the principle of equivalence in general relativity?

The principle of equivalence states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration. This means that an observer in a gravitational field cannot tell if they are being accelerated or if they are in a stationary frame in a gravitational field.

4. How does general relativity explain the bending of light?

According to general relativity, massive objects like stars and galaxies create a curvature in space-time. This curvature can cause light to follow a curved path around these objects, resulting in the appearance of light bending.

5. What are the different interpretations of general relativity?

There are several different interpretations of general relativity, including the classical interpretation, the Einstein-Cartan interpretation, and the Brans-Dicke theory. These interpretations vary in their approach to understanding the fundamental principles of general relativity and their implications for the nature of space and time.