1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Relativity: Particle velocity travelling on Schwarzchild orbit

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the speed of a particle in the smallest possible circular orbit in the Schwarzschild
    geometry as measured by a stationary observer at that orbit? Note: The orbit in
    question happens to be unstable.

2. Relevant equations

Normalization condition:

[itex]\textbf{u}_{obs}(r)[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\textbf{u}_{obs}(r)[/itex]=[itex]g_{αβ}[/itex][itex]u^{α}_{obs}(r)[/itex][itex]u^{β}_{obs}(r)[/itex]=-1

Schwarzchild Metric...

3. The attempt at a solution

So from the Normalization condition and the Schwarzchild metric it is easy to find the four-velocity of the observer, because the spatial components are zero. My question relates to the observer's measurement of the particle's velocity. If his four-velocity is
    [itex]{u}^{a}[/itex]=[1/[itex]\sqrt{1-2m/r}[/itex],0,0,0]
    then, how does observe the particle's velocity?
    An answer I found somewhere said

[itex]\frac{u^{2}}{1-u^{2}}[/itex]=[itex]u^{a}u^{b}(g_{ab}+u_{a}u_{b})=(u^{a}u_{a})^{2}-1[/itex]

But I have no idea how to arrive at this relation, and why it relates to the observer's measurement of the particle. Is it possibly a derivation of a relation between t and the proper time?

Also, this might seem very rudimentary but I am not sure why we are able to write:

[itex]u_{a}u_{b} \ast u^{a}u^{b} = (u^{a}u_{a})^{2}[/itex]

I'm very new to general relativity, and would really appreciate the help!
    Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?