1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Relativity Problem

1. Jun 14, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I was working out of a text for my own knowledge and I ran into a slight snag which has become bothersome. First I was asked to find the condition on a linear transformation for which the dot product [itex]u \cdot u= u_0^2 - u_1^2{}[/itex] is preserved. Easily I found that for [itex] u' = \Lambda u[/itex] our condition is [itex] \Lambda^T \eta \Lambda = \eta [/itex] where [itex] \eta [/itex] is the metric tensor.

However the tricky part came in when I was asked "Solve this condition in terms of ra-
    pidity.". It was quite clear that I was asked to derive the lorentz transformation matrix but I wasn't sure the best way to go about doing this from only this condition.

My best attempt was to populate [itex] \Lambda [/itex] with 4 unknown functions [itex] f_1,f_2,..[/itex] of our rapidity [itex] \phi [/itex]. This gave me 3 equations namely

[itex] f_1*f_2 = f_3*f_4 [/itex]
    [itex] f_1^2 - f_3^2 = 1 [/itex]
    [itex] f_2^2 - f_4^2 = -1 [/itex]

From which it seems clear that [itex] f_1 = cosh(\phi), f_2=sinh(\phi),... [/itex]

However I have two questions/problems with my approach. (1) I do not know how to select a sign for my functions (it seems completely arbitrary what sign cosh or sinh take on, but most texts seem to have a definite convention and (2) my method does not seem completely rigorous and I was hoping to find one that was superior.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2013 #2
    Hi ozone!

(1) Yes there is a sign issue here. There are two possibilities for [itex]\det \Lambda[/itex]: +1 and -1. This means that the Lorentz group splits into two. The transformations with [itex]\det \Lambda[/itex] = +1 are the ones you're familiar with (called the "restricted Lorentz group") and the transformations with [itex]\det \Lambda[/itex] = -1 involve parity flips, time reversals and things like that.

(2) I think your approach is fully rigorous :smile:

4. Jun 17, 2013 #3
    Alright fair enough, I have heard of the lorentz transformations having a + or - determinate, so this must be the manifestation of that, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted