1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General relativity question

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    So is it the closer you are to the centre of a body the slower time will go? or is it the other way round. also why is this?

my lecturer confused me a bit when explain it, but whats general rel got to do with the orbit of a satellite?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

This is a strange question. GR is a theory of gravity, so it is relevant to orbits.

4. May 7, 2008 #3
    The closer one is to a body of energy (and energy's other forms: heat conduction, pressure, and viscosity), the slower one's rate of time is. It is the gradient of this gravitational time dilation (how much the rate of time slows based on a change in distance) that causes acceleration to occur.

From a Newtonian point of view (in a weak gravitational field, and where relativistic precession is all but none), the orbiting body maintains a constant rate of time, and so follows a circular path of constant distance from the gravitating body. I believe that this is also referred to as a "straight path in spacetime" results in a "curved path in space".

As for the actual mechanism behind gravitational time dilation, that's to do with quantum gravity (superstring theory, loop quantum gravity). I cannot go into detail on either, for lack of knowledge.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?