General Relativity

I have had dynamics and elecricty and magnetism, i guess i just need to get a harder more modern book to see the transformation to relativistic theories.

Thanx

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
woodysooner said:
I have had dynamics and elecricty and magnetism, i guess i just need to get a harder more modern book to see the transformation to relativistic theories.

Thanx
Barut's text in the Dover series does this nicely. Or for a quicky you could do Chapter 3 in Zwiebach's A First Course in String Theory.

Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
pmb_phy said:
The gravitational field produced by light is incredibly small. I haven't put any numbers into that formula but it wouldn't surprise me if it was super-extreme-small.
IIRC, there was a question in PF along these lines, many months ago, and I asked folk to guess how long it would be before an experimental/observational test of the 'gravitational field produced by light' might be undertaken.

Surprisingly (or not), the answer is, within a decade! However, it won't be done on Earth (there is simply no way we can generate a sufficiently UHE gamma photon), but in space. I'll dig up a link to the planned experiment if anyone's interested.

thanx for that self adjoint ill get the book.