Special Relativity & General Relativity: Length, Time, and Motion

In summary, special relativity explains the effects of constant velocity motion, spacetime, and observers, and is a special case of general relativity. It states that constant velocity motion causes length contraction, time dilation, and an increase in mass-energy. On the other hand, general relativity states that the effects of acceleration and gravity are indistinguishable. While gravity does cause time dilation, it does not cause length contraction. This is because acceleration does not directly result in length contraction, but rather the full solution of Einstein's field equations. The equivalence principle always holds true, but it cannot fully explain the effects of length contraction due to gravity.
yourdadonapogostick
special relativity has to do with constant velocity motion, spacetime, and observers. it is a special case of general relativity (hence the name 'special'). it says that constant velocity motion contracts lenth, dilates time, and increases massenergy.

general relativity says the the effects of acceleration and gravity are indistinguishable. i know that gravity dilates time, but does it contract length?

Physics news on Phys.org
so, acceleration contracts length as well...

yourdadonapogostick said:
so, acceleration contracts length as well...

Hmmm - no. Just as the Schwarzschild metric is the standard metric for an observer on a massive spherical body, the Rindler metric is the standard metric for an accelerating obsever. This metric for someone accelerating with an acceleration 'g' in the z direction is

dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 - (1+gz)dt^2

Looking at the metric coefficients, this means that an accelerating observer sees time slow down or speed up depending on whether an object is "above" him or "below" him (the value of 'z') - an effect quite comparable to gravitational time dilation.

But the spatial metric is not affected - in this case there is no gravitational length contraction.

That's why the url I linked to noted that "you can't predict this from the equivalence principle", I would guess.

damn...there goes my other question...

i'm confused...the equivelence principle doesn't always work?

The reason gravity contracts length is because of the equivalence principle. An actual acceleration itself does not cause length contraction, but it does imply motion relative to an instantaneous SR reference frame (terminology I've never heard used, but just made up, so there's probably something faulty in it). It may help you to read this: http://www.bartleby.com/173/23.html

GR is the four dimensional equivalent of Pythagoras' theorem. The sum of all vectors result in the same product. Does that help?

i thought that was sr. it shows time dilation by moving in other dimensions and such.

yourdadonapogostick said:
i'm confused...the equivelence principle doesn't always work?

The equivalence principle always works. However, length contraction due to planetary or black-hole gravity cannot be derived from the equivalence princple alone. Length contraction comes from inspecting the metric resulting from the full solution of Einstein's field equations. The example of the Rindler metric shows that length contraction does not follow directly from the equivalence principle in isolation from the rest of the full theory.

1. What is the difference between Special Relativity and General Relativity?

Special Relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravitational forces, while General Relativity includes the effects of gravity on space and time.

2. How does Special Relativity explain time dilation?

According to Special Relativity, time dilation occurs when an object is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This means that time will appear to pass slower for the moving object compared to the observer.

3. Can objects move faster than the speed of light in Special Relativity?

No, according to Special Relativity, the speed of light is the fastest speed at which any object can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase, making it impossible to reach or exceed the speed of light.

4. How does General Relativity explain the bending of light?

According to General Relativity, gravity is not a force between two objects, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. This curvature can cause light to appear to bend when passing near massive objects.

5. What is the difference between time dilation in Special Relativity and time dilation in General Relativity?

In Special Relativity, time dilation occurs due to relative motion, while in General Relativity, time dilation occurs due to the curvature of space and time caused by gravity. This means that time will pass at different rates for observers in different gravitational fields.