General Rocket Propulsion book

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in space and space flights, specifically in regards to rockets and their trajectories. The individual has a background in electrical engineering but is not interested in delving deeply into the mathematics behind rocket science. They are looking for a book on rocket science and aerodynamics that can be read in a week or two, and a link to NASA's publications is provided as a possible resource. The conversation also briefly touches on the differences in launching from a planet or moon compared to launching from an orbit, and the use of different propulsion systems for different purposes. Several book recommendations are also mentioned, including topics such as orbital mechanics and maneuvering propulsion.
amenhotep
Hello,
I've always been interested in space and space flights and have often wondered how rockets are lunched into space, how their trajectories are defined, how they are sped up (like gravity assist), how they are slowed down (like the complicated trajectory of the Rosetta mission etc . . .
I have a BENG in electrical engineering but I'm not interested in expending too much time delving deeply into the mathematics. I took a first year dynamics course in college so I'm familiar with Newton's equations up to that level. I remember we derived Kepler's laws from Newton's laws by solving a 2nd order differential equation which showed that indeed the orbits of planets should be elliptical. But in introductory dynamics, everything is simplistic and I'd like to gain some understanding on rocket science or aerodynamics, orbit maneuvers without the necessary intricate mathematical details because I won't be using them anyway.
So, in short, I'd like a rocket science/aerodynamics book that I can read in a week or two. If such a book exists, I'll be happy if you can refer me to it.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
amenhotep said:
how rockets are lunched into space, how their trajectories are defined, how they are sped up (like gravity assist), how they are slowed down (like the complicated trajectory of the Rosetta mission etc . . .
I have a BENG in electrical engineering but I'm not interested in expending too much time delving deeply into the mathematics.

Launching from a planet or moon, i.e., within a gravity field takes a lot of energy, and that is different than launching from an orbit.

There are books on propulsion of large rockets, which are typically done in stages, depending on the payload mass, and the total mass of the system. For example, the booster rockets on the US space shuttle are simply there to lift the large propellant tank, while the shuttle uses the liquid hydrogen and oxygen from the propellant tank for propulsion. At same altitude in the upper atmosphere where the drag is low, the boosters separate and fall away, then the shuttle uses the remaining propellant to get to orbit. Some coasting is used, after the propellant tank falls away and burns up in the atmosphere. On orbit, the shuttle uses small chemical maneuvering rockets to maneuver up or down, or faster or slower - and that is only low Earth orbit (LEO).

For travel to the moon, or to Mars, larger rockets would be needed, and requirements would be different. Usually, one designs a trajectory based on minimal mass and/or energy to achieve the desired destination. The energy available depends on the specific energy of the system. The greater the specific energy, the faster one can travel, and the sooner one can get to a destination, and then turn around and decelerate.

Some books -
http://arc.aiaa.org/templates/jsp/images/access_no.gif

There are other books on specific topics mentioned.

1. What is rocket propulsion?

Rocket propulsion is a method of propulsion that involves the use of rockets to generate thrust and propel a spacecraft or object through space. It works by expelling high-velocity exhaust gases from the back of the rocket, which creates an equal and opposite force that propels the rocket forward.

2. How does rocket propulsion work?

Rocket propulsion works on the principle of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In a rocket, this reaction is created by expelling high-velocity exhaust gases out of the back of the rocket, which propels the rocket forward. This process continues until the rocket reaches its desired velocity and altitude.

3. What are the main types of rocket propulsion?

The main types of rocket propulsion are chemical, nuclear, and electric propulsion. Chemical propulsion uses a chemical reaction to create thrust, nuclear propulsion utilizes the energy released from nuclear reactions, and electric propulsion uses electrical energy to accelerate ions or other particles to generate thrust.

4. What are the key components of a rocket propulsion system?

The key components of a rocket propulsion system include the propellant, combustion chamber, nozzle, and thrust vector control. The propellant is the fuel that is burned to create thrust, the combustion chamber is where the propellant is ignited and burned, the nozzle is where the exhaust gases are accelerated to high velocities, and thrust vector control is used to steer the rocket in the desired direction.

5. What are some current challenges in rocket propulsion?

Some current challenges in rocket propulsion include improving the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of propulsion systems, developing more sustainable and environmentally-friendly propellants, and finding ways to reduce the impact of launch exhaust on the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, developing faster and more efficient propulsion systems for long-distance space travel is also a major challenge.