1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Rules of Thumb Statics

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    Hello I sometimes have difficulty determining weather a problem is solvable or have trouble gauging the difficulty of a certain approach.

I think this is because of a weak background in maths

Say you had a general 2d single rigid body problem
    Which has 2 given forces and 3 unknowns

i understand that in a 2d equilibrium problem you can get at most 3 independent equations for a member, off course you can write more than that, ie the 4th equation but this will be redundant.

i also understand to solve a single variable you need to express that variable in terms of a constant ( ie 1 equation 1 constant solves 1 variables)

so i suppose with 2 constants you should be able to solve 2 variables using 2 equations of statical equilibrium. Using that result i suppose you can solve for the other variable

I think i have a basic understanding, but does anyone else have some tips for problem solving along these lines?

Oh yea i also wouldn't mind some tips on when to use method of sections vs method of joints
    thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted