General Solutions of 2nd Order Linear Homogeneous Ordinary D.E.s

In summary, the theorem in question attempts to prove that the general solution to a second order, linear, homogeneous differential equation can be expressed as a linear combination of two independent solutions. This is done by showing that, if the Wronskian of the two solutions is not zero at any point in the interval, then the general solution can be written in the desired form. However, the textbook statement of the theorem is slightly misleading, as it should state that the Wronskian is not zero at any point in the interval, not necessarily everywhere.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A theorem in my textbook is confusing me:

For the functions [itex] p(t) \ \ \text{and} \ \ q(t) [/itex] continuous on an open inteval [itex] I [/itex] defined by [itex] \alpha < t < \beta [/itex]:

We have differential equation [itex] L[y] = 0 [/itex] where

[tex] L = (\frac{d^2}{dt^2} + p\frac{d}{dt} + q) [/tex]

The theorem attempts to prove that the general solution can be expressed in the form

[tex] y = c_{1} y_{1} + c_{2} y_{2} [/tex]

It does so by looking at an arbitrary solution [itex] y = \phi (t) [/itex]. Let's say that at some point [itex] t_0 [/itex], we let [itex] \phi (t_0) = y_0 \ \ \text{and} \ \ \phi^{\prime} (t_0) = y^{\prime}_0 [/itex].

Then [itex] \phi (t) [/itex] is certainly a solution to the initial value problem:

[tex] y^{\prime\prime} + py^{\prime} + qy = 0 [/tex]
[tex] y(t_0) = y_0 [/tex]
[tex] y^{\prime}(t_0) = y^{\prime}_0 [/tex]

But, as proven by another theorem, as long as the Wronskian of [itex] y_1 \ \ \text{and} \ \ y_2 [/itex] is not zero at [itex] t_0 [/itex], then we can find constants c1 and c2 such that

[tex] y = c_{1} y_{1} + c_{2} y_{2} [/tex]

is also a solution to this initial value problem. By the uniqueness theorem (which the textbook declines to prove), there is only one solution to the initial value problem i.e.:

[tex] y = \phi (t) = c_{1} y_{1} + c_{2} y_{2} [/tex]

In my mind, this constitutes an actual proof of the theorem if and only if it is true for all possible initial value problems i.e. if I can show this for every possible point [itex] t_0 [/itex] that I care to choose in [itex] I [/itex]. That condition demands that the Wronskian of [itex] y_1 \ \ \text{and} \ \ y_2 [/itex] is not zero at any point in the interval! Not only does the textbook not make this point clear, it says something entirely different!

Boyce and DiPrima, 8th Ed. pg. 148:

"Theorem 3.2.4 of states that, as long as the Wronksian of y1 and y2 is not everywhere zero, the linear combination c1y1 + c2y2 contains all possible solutions of [the differential equation]."

"Not everywhere zero" is not the same thing as "nonzero everywhere"! As I've already said, I think it should be the latter. The former implies that it can be zero in certain places, as long as it isn't zero everywhere.

So which is wrong, my interpretation of the proof, or the statement in the textbook? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cepheid said:
"Not everywhere zero" is not the same thing as "nonzero everywhere"! As I've already said, I think it should be the latter. The former implies that it can be zero in certain places, as long as it isn't zero everywhere.

Remember that these conditions are all local. If [itex]W[y_{1},y_{2}](t_{0})\neq 0[/itex], means that you can build a solution in the form [itex]c_{1}y_{1}+c_{2}y_{2}[/itex] locally (in a vecinity of [itex]t_{0}[/itex], not in the whole interval). The curve [itex]\phi(t)[/itex] happens to be the graph of that solution, but only locally. To extend the solution to the whole interval, you need to be more carefull.

Im sure you can find a proof for the existence and uniqueness theorem for 2 order ode in Brown or Coddington book.

If you can't find the proof, give me some time and ill post a detailed one.

Last edited:
I don't mind the lack of proof for the existence/uniqueness theorem at the moment. It's just this theorem for now that still baffles me. I know now that I'm wrong and that the W need only be nonzero at one point, but I have no idea how this proves the theorem. Couldn't I equally well pick a point at which the Wronskian is zero for sure, set up an initial value problem to which phi is a solution, and show that phi cannot be expressed in the form c1y1 + c2y2?

It can be shown that, if y1 and y2 are both solutions to a second order, linear, homogeneous differental equation, then the Wronskian can be written as an exponential. It is either identically 0 (so y1 and y2 are dependent) or never 0 (so y1 and y2 are independent) on an interval.

also, you migh take in mind that if [itex]W[y_{1},y_{2}](t)=0[/itex] and y is non trivial

[tex]y_{1}\dot{y}_{2}-\dot{y}_{1}y_{2}=0[/tex]

if [itex]y_{2}\neq 0[/itex] (if it is 0 then take [itex]y_{1}[/itex])

[tex]\frac{y_{1}\dot{y}_{2}-\dot{y}_{1}y_{2}}{{y_{2}}^{2}}}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{y_{1}}{y_{2}})=0[/tex]

integrating

[tex]\frac{y_{1}}{y_{2}}=\lambda[/tex]

[tex]y_{1}=\lambda y_{2}[/tex]

so [itex]y_{1}[/itex] and [itex]y_{2}[/itex] are lineary dependent.

1. What is a 2nd order linear homogeneous ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

A 2nd order linear homogeneous ODE is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives up to the second order. It can be written in the form of a0(x)y'' + a1(x)y' + a2(x)y = 0, where a0, a1, and a2 are coefficients that depend on the independent variable x.

2. How do you determine if a solution to a 2nd order linear homogeneous ODE is general?

A general solution to a 2nd order linear homogeneous ODE is a solution that includes all possible solutions, including any arbitrary constants. To determine if a solution is general, you can substitute it into the original ODE and see if it satisfies the equation for all values of x.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE?

A homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE has a right-hand side of 0, meaning that there is no external forcing function. A non-homogeneous 2nd order linear ODE has a non-zero right-hand side, indicating the presence of an external forcing function.

4. What is the characteristic equation and how is it used to find solutions to a 2nd order linear homogeneous ODE?

The characteristic equation for a 2nd order linear homogeneous ODE is a0(r^2) + a1(r) + a2 = 0, where r is the variable. The roots of this equation can be used to find the general solution of the ODE. If the roots are real and distinct, the general solution will be in the form of C1e^(r1x) + C2e^(r2x), where C1 and C2 are arbitrary constants. If the roots are complex, the general solution will be in the form of e^(ax)(C1cos(bx) + C2sin(bx)), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex root.

5. How do you use initial conditions to find a particular solution to a 2nd order linear homogeneous ODE?

To find a particular solution to a 2nd order linear homogeneous ODE, you can use the initial conditions, which are values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. By substituting the values into the general solution, you can solve for the arbitrary constants and obtain the particular solution that satisfies the given initial conditions.