How Do You Solve for Circular Motion in a Uniform Magnetic Field?

• Thread starter matt222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, for a particle of mass m carrying charge q moving in a uniform magnetic field of strength B, with the field positive in the z direction, the equations of motion are mx''= qBy', my''= -qBx', and mz''= 0. To have circular motion on a plane, eliminate m from the first equation and substitute it into the second equation to get y'''= x'''. Using Laplace transform, solve the resulting third order differential equation with initial conditions for x, y, and z. Choose initial conditions that will give circular motion in the x, y plane.
matt222

Homework Statement

particle of mass m carrying charge q, moving in a uniform magnetic of strength B. the field positive in z direction, the equation of motion are:

mx''=qBy'
my''=-qBx'
mz''=0

find general solution and apporopriate initial condition to have a circular motion on a plane

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

nothing on z direction so by eliminating m in the first equation and subtitute it in the second equation we got y'''=x''',at this point i really confused

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't want an equation that involves both x and y!

From mx"= qBy', differentiating again gives you mx'''= qBy''= qb(-qBx'/m)= -(q^2B^2/m)x' or m^2x'''+ (q^2B^2)x'= 0.

in this case I have 3rd order differential equation and by using laplace transform I am able to solve it. But I am not sure about the initial condition let's say x''=x'=0 for the circle but should I assume x=1

You shouldn't assume anything. Also, you do not want initial conditions on x alone. Since you have three second derivative equations on x, y, and z, you want two initial conditions, say position and speed, for each of x, y, z.

Yes, as long as z'(0)= 0, z will be constant so you can take z(0)= 0 as well and get motion in the x, y plane.

Now, solving [itex]m^2x'''+ (q^2B^2)x'= 0[/itex] for x will give you a general solution for x(t) with three undetermined constants. You can then use that x(t) in [itex]mx''=qBy'[/itex] to solve for y' and then integrate to get y(t) introducing one more undetermined coefficient to make a total of 4.

Choose x(0), x'(0), y(0), and y'(0) so those coefficients will give you circular motion.

What is a general solution?

A general solution is a solution that satisfies a given equation or problem without any specific conditions or restrictions. It often includes variables and can be applied to a wide range of situations.

How is a general solution different from a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies an equation or problem with given conditions or restrictions. It is often obtained from a general solution by substituting specific values for the variables.

Can a general solution be unique?

Yes, a general solution can be unique, but it depends on the equation or problem. Some equations or problems may only have one general solution that satisfies all possible conditions.

How do you obtain a general solution?

To obtain a general solution, you need to solve the equation or problem without any specific conditions or restrictions. This often involves using mathematical methods such as integration, differentiation, or algebraic manipulation.

Can a general solution be applied to different types of problems?

Yes, a general solution can be applied to different types of problems as long as they have the same underlying equation or structure. This is because a general solution is not specific to any particular problem, but rather it is a solution that can be applied to a wide range of similar problems.