Understanding Tension Forces: How to Calculate and Measure Them

In summary, The tension in a rope is balanced by the weight of the person and the tension in the rope is the same on both sides of the pulley.
BadSkittles
Hello everyone, I am puzzled by how the sum of the tension forces on a rope is calculated.

So let's say a climber (5kg) is dangling on a cliff, with a rope around his waist. That same rope is wrapped around a rock (10 kg) 50 meters left of the cliff. How would the tension force of that rope be measured when the rope goes in different directions.

What about a pulley? Is the tension force just the sum of the mass * gravity?

Also, what is the equation for tension forces. Is it just the sum of all forces that the rope is tugged by?

Help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no fixed formula for tension. You would normally get the tension based on equilibrium conditions.

So if the 5 kg climber (that is quite small btw) is just hanging there then the tension is balancing the weight vertically so T = (5*9.81) N.

If there are two ropes and he is stationary, then the components of the tensions in the x and y directions will need to be balanced.

If a rope goes over a FRICTIONLESS pully, then the tension of the rope will be the same on both sides of the pully. It wouldn't matter what direction of the rope took.

barryj said:
If a rope goes over a FRICTIONLESS pully, then the tension of the rope will be the same on both sides of the pully. It wouldn't matter what direction of the rope took.

Frictionless AND massless.

voko said:
Frictionless AND massless.

If the system is in static equilibrium, then the mass of the pulley is irrelevant.

Chestermiller said:
If the system is in static equilibrium, then the mass of the pulley is irrelevant.

This is an oversimplification. The weight of a pulley might be relevant even statically.

voko said:
This is an oversimplification. The weight of a pulley might be relevant even statically.

Please give an example of how this can be the case for a frictionless pulley.

Chet

See attachment. Here T1 = T2 + mg

Attachments

• x123.jpg
    x123.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 387
barryj said:
See attachment. Here T1 = T2 + mg

This does not address the issue that Voko and I were discussing.

I thought you were asking for an example of a static situation with a frictionless pulley where mass mattered. Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the question.

Chester, what was "the issue that Voko and I were discussing." I should have said that..
T1 = T2 + mg + (mass of pulley)g

Chestermiller said:
This does not address the issue that Voko and I were discussing.

I am not sure what particular issue you have in mind. My comment was generic, the mass of a pulley may not always be neglected even in static equilibrium. I believe the diagram supplied by barryj illustrates that.

voko said:
I am not sure what particular issue you have in mind. My comment was generic, the mass of a pulley may not always be neglected even in static equilibrium. I believe the diagram supplied by barryj illustrates that.

What I was saying was that, for a frictionless pulley situated within a system under static equilibrium conditions, the cord tension on one side of the pulley is the same as the cord tension on the other side of the pulley, irrespective of whether the pulley has mass. Maybe I should have been more precise in what I said.

Chet

Yes, that is true. If the tensions were different, the pulley would have a non-zero net torque acting on it.

So let's say a climber (5kg) is dangling on a cliff, with a rope around his waist. That same rope is wrapped around a rock (10 kg) 50 meters left of the cliff. How would the tension force of that rope be measured when the rope goes in different directions

Something like this? If not then please post your own diagram...

The man creates a tension = Mmg in the rope. Where Mm is the mass of the man and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The tension in the rope the other side is the same.

Some of that tension (the horizontal component) is countered by friction between rock and ground.

Some of that tension (the vertical component) is countered by gravity acting on the rock.

What fraction of the total does what depends on the angle and you didn't specify "h" so we can't work out the angle.

Attachments

• rockclimber.png
    rockclimber.png
    15 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
voko said:
the mass of a pulley may not always be neglected even in static equilibrium. I believe the diagram supplied by barryj illustrates that.
This is a little unfair. The original point under discussion was specifically whether the mass of a pulley can lead to a difference in tension in the sections of rope with which it makes contact:
If a rope goes over a FRICTIONLESS pully, then the tension of the rope will be the same on both sides of the pully
In statics, it doesn't, though its weight may contribute to tension in other parts of the system, or increase the tension equally both sides of itself.

haruspex said:
This is a little unfair. The original point under discussion was specifically whether the mass of a pulley can lead to a difference in tension in the sections of rope with which it makes contact:

I am not exactly sure what the "original point" really is. The original post does not specifically restrict the discussion to statics, that may at best only be inferred from it. The initial post of Chestermiller had a statement in such a form ("mass is irrelevant") that I did not realize it was strictly about the equality of tensions.

Anyway, I think I have addressed both the generic and the static cases explicitly.

voko said:
I am not exactly sure what the "original point" really is..
I was referring to the point made in post #3 and the discussion that engendered starting with your #4.

What is a "General Tension Force"?

A "General Tension Force" is a type of force that acts on an object due to a pulling or stretching motion. It is a type of contact force that occurs when two objects are in contact with each other and one object exerts a pulling force on the other.

What are some common examples of "General Tension Forces"?

Some common examples of "General Tension Forces" include a rope pulling on an object, a person pulling a door open, or a dog pulling on its leash. These forces can also be seen in structures, such as a bridge or a suspension cable, where the tension force helps to support the weight of the structure.

How do "General Tension Forces" affect the motion of an object?

"General Tension Forces" can affect the motion of an object in different ways. If the force is greater than the opposing forces, such as friction, the object will accelerate in the direction of the force. If the force is equal to the opposing forces, the object will move at a constant velocity. If the force is less than the opposing forces, the object will decelerate.

How do "General Tension Forces" differ from other types of forces?

Unlike other types of forces, such as gravity or friction, "General Tension Forces" only occur when two objects are in contact with each other. They also only act in the direction of the pulling force, rather than in all directions like other types of forces.

How can "General Tension Forces" be calculated?

"General Tension Forces" can be calculated using the formula F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement or change in length of the object. The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the object and can be determined experimentally.