1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General uncertainties question - type B

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i am trying to quanify uncertainties..

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For type B uncertainties I have calibration of the oscilloscope, scale reading of the ocilloscope and the uncertaninty of the setup, with associated percentage errors of 2.5%, 1.5% and 3%. I now need to determine whether they follow a normal or rectangular distribution and apply the relevant divisor to my estimated percentage uncertainty. I am unsure how you determine what is normal and what is rectangular. I would assume calibration is normal and scale reading is rectangular? but thats a guess and I have no idea about the uncertainty of the set up ( this includes things like everything is in a straight line etc) Can anyone tell me how I go about coinfidently assigning which probability distribution each one has?

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted