General World Cup and in-game discussion

Pretty good final considering how it's low score.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
And Germany does it again, decides the game in the last few minutes. I'm glad they didn't have to shoot penalties, that would've been an anticlimax.

fluidistic
Gold Member
Thank you Götzilla!

I just wonder one thing, since I don't know much about the rules of football. At minute 57 Neuer clattered Higuain in the goal keeper zone, did that deserve a penalty like the Argentinian people are claiming?
I doubt it because Neuer played the ball (and removed it) while Higuain didn't even touch the ball.

Borek
Mentor
Naming Messi the best player didn't make much sense to me.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Naming Messi the best player didn't make much sense to me.
Without Messi Argentina wouldn't have got out of the group stages, although I agree he didn't do too much later on.

I think it was a foul. Although he got the ball, he clearly leapt into Higuain - if Neuer was an outfield player it would certainly have been given against him, but goalies get too much protection.
Every goalie comes out like that. And considering they can't use their arms for minor stability changes I believe it is necessary.
I'll give that it was borderline here but Higuain should've avoided that collision since he couldn't get the ball before Neuer did. Ball was too high to reach with the head.

fluidistic
Gold Member
I think it was a foul. Although he got the ball, he clearly leapt into Higuain - if Neuer was an outfield player it would certainly have been given against him, but goalies get too much protection.
Since Higuain didn't touch the ball before (nor after) Neuer got it, isn't it Higuain who should have got the fool? I mean the goal keeper did his job of throwing out the ball and then a player who didn't even had the ball ran into him.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Thanks for running the competition, micro. I shall come back fighting in two years ;)
Yes, I agree. Only a goalkeeper could have gotten away with a play like that. It's really no different than an outfield player jumping over the back of another player to head the ball.

But at least it followed custom. No one is going to be awarded a PK for that play, which means it pretty much has to be ignored.

The worse call was the PK in the Netherlands-Brazil game. What in the world was that?! It was clearly outside the penalty area and it was clearly the last defender denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Should have been a red card and a free kick outside the penalty area.

And a striker finally got carded for diving! Except Oscar actually was fouled and he should have been awarded a PK. Classic!

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The worse call was the PK in the Netherlands-Brazil game. What in the world was that?! It was clearly outside the penalty area and it was clearly the last defender denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Should have been a red card and a free kick outside the penalty area.
The commentators on Swedish TV said this too, but after the half-time break, they said that according to FIFA's rules, it's where the foul ends that's relevant, not where it starts. So the call appears to have been correct, since Thiago Silva held on to Robben as he ran into the penalty area.

And a striker finally got carded for diving! Except Oscar actually was fouled and he should have been awarded a PK. Classic!
It looked like Robben got a yellow card for diving too, at a time when he wasn't faking it. Two guys were pulling his shirt at the same time. One of them was pulling down pretty hard.

It's funny that they got their cards at times when they weren't faking it, but it couldn't have happened to two more deserving people. They should probably have had at least five yellow cards each for diving during this tournament.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Anyone else psyched about Russia 2018 (kidding)?

Last edited:
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Psyched about France 2016: have to beat the Germans! :biggrin:

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Psyched about France 2016: have to beat the Germans! :biggrin:
Ouch, a tough one, good luck --and make sure Tim Krul is in the bench (I mean so that he can do some more magic ; wish he had been available against Argentina)if he's not starring.

Last edited:
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was worried for so many of the players who were knocking heads! I was shocked how the game continued with Kramer lying knockout on the field and especially that he stayed in the game after that!