Generalize Special Relativity for Flat Spacetime

In summary, the conversation was about the search for generalizations of special relativity for flat spacetime. While most well-known generalizations are for curved spacetime, there is interest in finding more successful attempts to generalize SR for flat spacetime. However, it is unclear what this would mean and if it is even possible. Some attempts have been made, such as "Doubly Special Relativity" and "Teleparallelism", but they are not widely accepted. More research and analysis is needed to fully understand the concept and implications of generalizing special relativity for flat spacetime.
Ans
TL;DR Summary
Generalizations of special relativity for flat spacetime
I am looking for generalizations of special relativity for flat spacetime.
Of course, most well known generlaization of SR is general relativty.
There are many other generalizations of SR for curved spacetime. All what I found is for curved spacetime.
Are any more or less successfull attempts to generalize SR for flat spacetime? May be there is review article on the topic?

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what it would mean to generalize special relativity for flat spacetime.

Dale said:
I am not sure what it would mean to generalize special relativity for flat spacetime.
I also don't know how it can be done and what it would mean. So I looking for is anyone did it somehow with some level of success, such as no internal logical contradictions and no obvious contradictions to experiments.

Isn't SR already plenty general for flat spacetime? You want it to be more general in what way?

Likes vanhees71, Motore, russ_watters and 2 others
Ans said:
I also don't know how it can be done and what it would mean. So I looking for is anyone did it somehow with some level of success, such as no internal logical contradictions and no obvious contradictions to experiments.
If you don't even know what it would mean, how can you possibly know what you are even looking for?

Likes nasu, vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
Ans said:
Are any more or less successful attempts to generalize SR for flat spacetime?
Adding to what others have already said, if you insist on "flat spacetime" then you imprison yourself in a straitjacket. The usual Minkowski metric for flat spacetime is usually derived from the "Relativity Postulate" and the "Light Postulate". (If you're not familiar with these, a bit of googling will turn up lots of references. The search should probably also turn up several older threads here on PF that discuss this stuff about postulates in more detail.)

Some treatments of SR assume Minkowski spacetime as an axiom, then proceed to explore the consequences. I prefer the more physics-oriented textbooks that start from the postulates and derive the concept of spacetime and its properties.

As for generalizations, one can actually drop the "Light Postulate" and (after a lot more math) discover that de Sitter spacetime is also compatible with the Relativity Postulate. But de Sitter spacetime has constant curvature, i.e., not flat. You can google for "de Sitter Special Relativity" if you want to know more about this.

There's also at least one other attempt called "Doubly Special Relativity", but I don't much about that.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and dextercioby
PeterDonis said:
If you don't even know what it would mean, how can you possibly know what you are even looking for?
Heh, "if we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research". :oldsmile:

In @Ans's case, the discipline of structured concept analysis might help (meaning an inquiry/analysis of exactly what each word/phrase/concept means, where they came from, what assumptions they depend on, and what interdependencies might exist between them).

Likes vanhees71, dextercioby and Demystifier
Likes vanhees71

1. What is the difference between Special Relativity and Generalized Special Relativity for Flat Spacetime?

Special Relativity is a theory that describes the behavior of objects in flat spacetime, while Generalized Special Relativity extends this theory to include curved spacetime. In other words, Generalized Special Relativity takes into account the effects of gravity on the movement of objects.

2. How does Generalized Special Relativity explain the curvature of spacetime?

Generalized Special Relativity explains the curvature of spacetime through the presence of mass and energy. According to Einstein's theory of General Relativity, mass and energy cause spacetime to curve, and this curvature affects the movement of objects in the presence of gravity.

3. Can Generalized Special Relativity be applied to all types of spacetime?

Yes, Generalized Special Relativity can be applied to any type of spacetime, whether it is flat or curved. However, it is most commonly used to describe the behavior of objects in flat spacetime, as this is the simplest case to analyze.

4. How does Generalized Special Relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

Generalized Special Relativity expands our understanding of time and space by showing how they are interconnected and affected by the presence of mass and energy. It also explains how time can pass at different rates for objects in different gravitational fields.

5. Are there any experimental evidence or observations that support Generalized Special Relativity?

Yes, there is a significant amount of experimental evidence and observations that support Generalized Special Relativity. Some examples include the bending of light around massive objects, the gravitational time dilation effect, and the measurement of the curvature of spacetime through the detection of gravitational waves.