Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generalized complex Gaussian integrals with linear terms

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    Hi there!

It's fairly simple to show the following identity of a multivariate Gaussian integral with linear terms, if [itex]H[/itex] is a Hermitean matrix and [itex]{}^*[/itex] denotes complex conjugation:

[tex]\int \frac{dx_1^* \, dx_1 ... dx_n^* \, dx_n}{(2\pi i)^n} e^{-\sum_{ij} x_i^* H_{ij} x_j + \sum_i (J^*_i x_i + J_i x_i^*)} = (\det H)^{-1} e^{\sum_{ij} J_i^* (H^{-1})_{ij} J_j} [/tex]
    (One just introduces the new variable [itex]y_i = x_i - \sum_j (H^{-1})_{ij} J_j[/itex], uses that [itex]H[/itex] is Hermitean and solves the remaining purely Gaussian integral.)

In the book "Quantum Many-Particle Systems" by Negele and Orland (p. 34), they say that this identity also holds if [itex]H[/itex] just has a positive Hermitean part but they don't show how to prove it...can someone help me? I've searched on Google and PF for a quite a while but found nothing.

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted