Generalized Erdos-Moser conjecture

In summary: This is a significant result, but it still does not fully solve the problem.In summary, the conversation is about a generalization of the Erdos-Moser problem, which asks for ordered tuples of consecutive integers that satisfy a certain condition. The conversation mentions some references and possible avenues for further research, including the work of Andrzej Schinzel and Michael Filaseta. However, the problem is still unsolved and there is no conclusive answer yet.
mathbalarka
I have been researching on a generalization of Erdos-Moser, which asks for ordered tuple of consecutive integers with first $n-1$ integers, summed and exponentiation by $n$, equals the $n$-th power of the last and the greatest. The generalization can be observed as

$$3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2$$
$$3^3 + 4^3 + 5^3 = 6^3$$

Note that similar patterns doesn't work for higher powers, neither does any other examples. I have found a bit of reference on Dickson, which says Escott proved the impossibility for 4 and 5. I haven't tried out anything for now, but just looking for resources.

Some seems to refer this as Cyprian's theorem or Cyprian's last thereon, erroneously. The works referring that as a name is mostly done by Kochanski and doesn't seem to come up with anything worthwhile.

I have found also a few OEIS entries, but nothing is said there except the usual sequence. the best I can find is the Escott reference, which I have to look for whether it is available online or not.

Please post away here if anyone finds anything else.

(Editorial Note : I have written this in a hurry so apologies if it seems a bit scrambled, fortunately I will have some time later and edit it then. I will also try to find some other resource and edit those in too)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You may be interested in looking into the work of Andrzej Schinzel and his "generalized cyclotomic polynomials". These polynomials are related to the problem you are studying. In particular, Schinzel's Generalized Riemann Hypothesis states that all zeros of these polynomials are real. This would imply that there are no such ordered tuples of consecutive integers as you describe.

You may also want to look into the works of Michael Filaseta, who has done some research on this problem. In particular, he has shown that if there exists a tuple $(a_1, \dots, a_n)$ satisfying the condition
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i^n = a_n^n,$$
then $a_n < 2^n$.

1. What is the Generalized Erdos-Moser conjecture?

The Generalized Erdos-Moser conjecture is a mathematical conjecture proposed by mathematicians Paul Erdos and Leo Moser in 1957. It states that for any positive integer k, there exists a finite set of points in the plane such that the distance between any two points is an integer and the distance between any three distinct points forms a geometric progression with the common ratio k.

2. What significance does the Generalized Erdos-Moser conjecture hold in mathematics?

The Generalized Erdos-Moser conjecture holds significance in the field of combinatorial geometry and can be used to prove other important conjectures, such as the Sylvester-Gallai theorem. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and graph theory.

3. Has the Generalized Erdos-Moser conjecture been proven?

No, the Generalized Erdos-Moser conjecture has not been proven. It remains an open problem in mathematics and has been a subject of interest for many mathematicians for over 60 years.

4. What is the current progress towards proving the Generalized Erdos-Moser conjecture?

There have been partial results and special cases of the conjecture that have been proven, but a general proof is still elusive. Some mathematicians have also proposed alternative formulations of the conjecture, but none have been fully solved.

5. Are there any applications of the Generalized Erdos-Moser conjecture in real-world problems?

While the conjecture itself may not have direct applications in real-world problems, the techniques and ideas used in attempting to solve it have contributed to advancements in other areas of mathematics, such as discrete geometry and graph theory.