Generalized geometric series

In summary, The conversation discussed a method for deriving a series expression for √π by integrating term-by-term along the real line. However, due to the individual term-wise integrals diverging, a limit must be used. The rate of convergence of the series decreases as the limit increases, making it less useful. One possible solution is in terms of the error function, but the speaker is looking for a nontrivial result. However, a correction to the initial integration error shows that the original expression was circular and the speaker concludes that it is a dead end.
alexfloo
I just sent some time dicking around with the MacLaurin expansion of exp(-z2) to derive a series expression for √π, by integrating term-by-term along the real line. I'm not really concerned with wether this is a useful or well-studied expression, I just thought it would be a fun exercise.

Since the individual term-wise integrals diverge, we have to stick with a limit. It came down to

[itex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{4}=\lim_{R\to\infty}\sqrt{R}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nR^n}{(n-1)!}[/itex]

As R increases, the rate of convergence of the series decreases, so this is pretty useless unless we have a closed form for that series.

There's an obvious form in terms of the error function, but does anyone know of one that would actually lead to a nontrivial result?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correcting a very elementary integration error, I came up instead:

[itex]\sqrt\pi=\lim_{R\to\infty}2\sqrt{R}\sum_{n=0}^{∞} \frac{(-1)^n R^n}{n!(2n+1)}[/itex]

As you noted, you can get a closed form solution in terms of the error function, which gives the answer as R becomes infinite. I am not sure what you are looking for.

Yeah, the reason I'm disinterested in that one is that using it gives:

[itex]\sqrt\pi = \lim_{R\to\infty} 2\sqrt R \frac{\sqrt\pi erf(R)}{2\sqrt R} = \sqrt\pi erf(\infty)=\sqrt\pi[/itex].

Basically it appears that my original expression was circular (i.e. trivial) in nature to begin with, but I was hoping to find a more useful expression. In any case, it seems like a dead end. Thanks anyways, though!

1. What is a generalized geometric series?

A generalized geometric series is a type of infinite series that follows a specific pattern where each term is multiplied by a constant ratio. The ratio can be any real number, not just fractions like in a traditional geometric series.

2. How is a generalized geometric series different from a regular geometric series?

A regular geometric series has a constant ratio between each term, while a generalized geometric series can have a different ratio for each term. Additionally, a regular geometric series must have a ratio less than 1 for convergence, while a generalized geometric series can converge with any real ratio.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of a generalized geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of a generalized geometric series is S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the ratio between each term.

4. Can a generalized geometric series diverge?

Yes, a generalized geometric series can diverge if the absolute value of the ratio is greater than or equal to 1. In this case, the terms of the series will continue to increase without bound.

5. What are some real-life applications of generalized geometric series?

Generalized geometric series can be used in finance for calculating compound interest, in physics for modeling exponential decay, and in computer science for analyzing the complexity of algorithms. They can also be used in real-world scenarios where a variable is multiplied by a constant ratio repeatedly, such as population growth or the spread of diseases.