How much heat is generated from lost mechanical energy?

• Thread starter willydavidjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the mechanical equivalent of heat is 4.2[J/cal]. Given an object with mass 10 kg moving at speed 49 m/s with coefficient of kinematic friction 0.5 and gravitational acceleration of 9.8 \frac{m}{s^2}, the generated heat quantity is 2082.5 cal. This is calculated by finding the work done, which is 12495 Joules, and multiplying it by 0.70 to account for the 70% of lost mechanical energy that is converted into heat.
willydavidjr
Let the mechanical equivalent of heat be 4.2[J/cal]. 70 percent of lost mechanical energy was converted into heat. Find the generated heat quantity given an object with mass 10 kg moving at speed 49 m/s with coefficient of kinematic friction 0.5 and gravitational acceleration of 9.8 [tex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
willydavidjr said:
Let the mechanical equivalent of heat be 4.2[J/cal]

Joules per calorie?

Yes Hootenanny! I really cannot get it because the givens are quite unique and confusing.

I think there's a typo in the question because the units of J/cal are nonsensical. Heat is 'energy in transit' therefore the SI units are Joules.
Regards,
~Hoot

Last edited:
I am trying to solve the problem but all I can get is the stopping distance. I am still researching for the formula for the time respected to the problem.

Nevermind, I have seen my mistake. If you have calculated the stopping distance you have all the information you need.

HINT: What is work done?

Regards,
~Hoot

Can I use the formula [tex]x-x_o=v_ot + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] to get the stopping time?Or is there any other formula?

If you have calculated the stopping distance, you have all the information you need. Work done = force times distance. In this case work done = energy 'lost'.

Regards,
~Hoot

If I get the work with this= 0.5 * 10 kg * 9.8 [tex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex] * 255 m, then what is the purpose of the given "mechanical equivalent of heat be 4.2[J/cal]. 70 percent of lost mechanical energy was converted into heat"?

You should get 245m, but 255 is close enough. You have calculated the energy lost. However, only 70% of this 'lost' energy is converted into heat...

Regards,
~Hoot

Yeah you're really right. That was really close enough for the stopping distance. But how can I compute for the generated heat quantity given the mechanical equivalent of heat be 4.2[J/cal]. The final answer is suppose to be in calorie unit.

Ahh, I think what they question meant was 1 calorie = 4.2 Joules.

Regards,
~Hoot

Now I get it buddy. 12495 Joules is the work done or the energy lost and I will multiply it by 0.70 to get the 70 percent lost. I get 8746.5 Joules. Dividing it by 4.2 j/cal gives me 2082.5 cal. Is 2082.5 right buddy?

Yep, that looks good to me.

Regards,
~Hoot

Thanks Hoot. You were a great help to me. Till next time.

1. What is generated heat quantity?

Generated heat quantity refers to the amount of heat produced by a system or process. It is a measure of the thermal energy that is released as a result of a chemical reaction, electrical current, or other energy transfer.

2. How is generated heat quantity measured?

Generated heat quantity is typically measured in units of joules (J), or sometimes in units of calories (cal) for smaller quantities. Specialized equipment, such as calorimeters, are used to accurately measure the heat released by a system.

3. What factors affect the generated heat quantity?

The generated heat quantity can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of reaction or process, the reactants or materials involved, and the conditions under which the reaction or process takes place. Temperature, pressure, and concentration can also have an impact on the amount of heat produced.

4. How is generated heat quantity used in scientific research?

Generated heat quantity is an important measurement in many fields of scientific research, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It can provide valuable insights into the energy transformations that occur in natural and man-made systems, and can help scientists understand and predict the behavior of these systems.

5. Can generated heat quantity be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, it is possible to convert generated heat quantity into other forms of energy, such as mechanical or electrical energy. This can be achieved through various methods, such as using heat engines or thermoelectric devices. However, some energy will always be lost as heat in the conversion process due to the laws of thermodynamics.