Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Generating a Hilbert space representation of a wavefunction

Tags:
  1. Nov 8, 2017 #41

SeM

Vanhees, it's Molecular Quantum Mechanics

Mark, I read your suggestion with care now, and I noticed I already did what you wrote, however, I called it the hat function a "testing function", as derived from one of Bills links. The testing function is 1, and the integral is for 1 * Psi over the interval 0 to 2pi, which makes it a tempered distribution, allowed for Fourier Transform.

Whether it makes any physical sense is not the scope of this paper, however, I have done a Hilbert transform of it, to see its behaviour as a signal in a physical world.

Bill, I will look into the Dirac function alternative.

Thanks all

2. Nov 8, 2017 #42

SeM

Vanhees:

I didnt say a vector is orthogonal, I said the wavefunction is non-ortogonal to its complex conjugate, which is the reason for the overlap integral being a non-zero value. However, the very function is square integrable over a finite region, and it is normalizable. Untitled.jpg

3. Nov 8, 2017 #43

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Please read the passage you quoted again carefully word by word! Nowhere it's said a wave function is orthogonal or non-orthogonal to its complex conjugate. This wouldn't make any sense! It doesn't matter whether you work in molecular quantum mechanics or any other application, the math of QM is unique.

4. Nov 8, 2017 #44

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for moderation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook