Transforming Correlated Standard Normals with Cholesky Decomposition

In summary, the conversation discusses using Cholesky decomposition to obtain correlated standard normals from a given correlation matrix and 3 independent standard normals. The resulting correlated standard normals are A, B, and C, with the matrix Z being used to calculate them. The conversation also covers transforming the correlated standard normals to have specific means and variances, with the final result being A~N(0,2), B~N(2,8), and C~N(4,9).
fignewtons

Homework Statement

Given correlation matrix
$$M = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & .3 & .5 \\
.3 & 1 & .2 \\
.5 & .2 & 1 \\
\end{bmatrix}$$
And 3 independent standard normals $$N_1, N_2, N_3$$
using cholesky decomposition
A) get the correlated standard normals

B) and if you want to transform them such that A ~ N(0,2), B~N(2,8), C~N(4,9) what is it?

Homework Equations

Cholesky decomposition: $$M = Z*Z^T$$ where Z is a lower triangular matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

A) the correlated standard normals I get are
$$ A = N_1 \\
B = 0.3 N_1 + \sqrt{.91}N_2 \\
C = 0.2 N_1 + 0.05241 N_2 + 0.86444N_3 $$
Is this correct?

B) do I simply add the mean and scale the variance? Ie. for C, I get $$C = 4 + \sqrt{\frac{9}{.79}}C_0$$ where $$C_0$$ is the untransformed variable ~N(0, 0.79). Please check if my reasoning is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (A) I get a different answer to you, although I entered the mtx in a rush so may have mistyped. What did you get for the Z matrix?

For (B) the variance scaling is simply by the given variances, ie 2, 8 and 9, since the random variable being scaled is standard normal. Why do you think the untransformed variable is N(0,0.79)? From part (A) the new variables created by the Cholesky multiplication were supposed to be standard normals.

EDIT_I noticed that I copied down the equation for C incorrectly because I looked up the incorrect Z_3,1. After the revision, I did get C~N(0,1).

Thanks for the help!
-------------------------
The Z matrix I got was
$$Z = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
.3 & \sqrt{.91} & 0 \\
.5 & .05241 & .86444 \\
\end{bmatrix}$$

Using the relation Y = Z*N where Z is as above and N is the column vector of standard normals, I get for Y is a column vector of correlated normals with row 1 being A, row 2 being B, and row 3 being C.

When I write out Y, it is the above part A answer.

I try to figure out what is E[C] and Var[C]. For E[C] I use linearity of expectation to get $$E[C] = 0.5 E[N_1] + 0.05241E[N_2] + 0.86444E[N_3]$$ and since E[N_i] = 0, E[C] = 0

To get Var[C] I use the bilinearity of variance and independence of N_i's so $$Var[C] = 0.5^2 Var[N_1] + 0.05241^2[VarN_2] + 0.86444^2Var[N_3]$$ and since Var[N_i] = 1, the variance is basically the sum of the squared constants, which is 1.

Thus I get that C is ~N(0,1), what I call untransformed

When we transform this to be ~N(4,9), what I though to do is to add 4 to it and apply a sqrt factor to scale the variance to be 9. Since we already have variance 1, and if we want to take it out of the parentheses it must be sqrt, we need a factor of $$\sqrt{9}$$

Not sure if this is correct but it's what makes sense to me right now.

Last edited:
@figNewtons Yes that all looks correct. Make sure the multiplication by ##\sqrt 9## is done before adding 4.

1. What is the purpose of generating correlated normals?

The purpose of generating correlated normals is to create a set of random variables with a specified correlation structure. This is useful in various statistical and scientific applications, such as simulating data for experiments or creating models for financial analysis.

2. How are correlated normals generated?

Correlated normals are typically generated using a multivariate normal distribution. This involves specifying a mean vector and covariance matrix, which determines the correlation among the variables. The values can then be generated using random number generators.

3. What is the difference between correlation and covariance?

Correlation and covariance are both measures of the relationship between two variables. Correlation measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two variables, while covariance measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship as well as the scale of the variables.

4. Can correlated normals be generated with non-linear relationships?

No, correlated normals are generated assuming a linear relationship between variables. If a non-linear relationship is desired, a transformation of the variables can be applied before generating the correlated normals.

5. Are there any limitations to generating correlated normals?

One limitation to generating correlated normals is that the correlation structure may not accurately represent the true relationship between variables. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the chosen method for generating correlated normals in any given application.