1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generating Function in Physics

1. Oct 18, 2013 #1
    Could anybody give me some examples of generating function in physics, it's application, and it's use? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Generating functions for what?

Sometimes it's an elegant technique to define special functions by a generating function. E.g., the Legendre Polynomials can be defined by
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{r-2 r u+1}}=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty} \mathrm{P}_l(u) r^l.[/tex]
    This implies that
    [tex]\mathrm{P}_l(u)=\left (\frac{1}{l!} \frac{\mathrm{d}^l}{\mathrm{d} r^l} \frac{1}{\sqrt{r-2 r u+1}} \right)_{r=0}.[/tex]
    Do you mean such examples?

4. Oct 19, 2013 #3
    The Gibbs Free Energy is regarded as a Generating Function for the other thermodynamic properties if it can be expressed as a function of T and P. If this functionality is known, the Gibbs Free Energy can be used to calculate the specific volume, the enthalpy, the internal energy, and the entropy. Unfortunately, there is no convenient experimental method for directly measuring G as a function of T and P.

5. Oct 19, 2013 #4
    I believe (and I could be mistaken) that the thermodynamic canonical and grand canonical partition functions are generating functions in the probabilistic sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted