Generating Function for 0,1 Sequences with Period m

In summary: If you're really interested then I can recommend the book "Concrete Mathematics" by Knuth. The book gives several mathematical tools to solve problems that sound easy but whose solutions are far from it! Generating functions is one of those tools.
Emilijo
What is generating function of these sequences:
0,1,0,1...or
0,1,1,0,1,1,0...or

where m is period, in first example m=2; in the second m=3, and so on.
Generating function must be general, so I can just put m.

Physics news on Phys.org
look up your sequences here:

https://oeis.org/

if they are known, they will be listed.

I am not satisfied. Can anyone answer on my question?

So you need to find a function such that

[tex]f(x)=1+x^2+x^4+x^6+x^8+...[/tex]

Do you know the function g such that

[tex]g(x)=1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...[/tex]

Then [itex]f(x)=g(x^2)[/itex]...

micromass said:
So you need to find a function such that

[tex]f(x)=1+x^2+x^4+x^6+x^8+...[/tex]

Do you know the function g such that

[tex]g(x)=1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...[/tex]

Then [itex]f(x)=g(x^2)[/itex]...
The other ones should be the same way, right? Like

[tex]f(x) = x + x^2 + x^4 + x^5 + x^7 + x^8 + ... =
(1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + ... ) - (1 + x^3 + x^6 + x^9 + ...) =
g(x) - g(x^3)
[/tex]

Indeed! That how I'd do the other ones!

micromass said:
Indeed! That how I'd do the other ones!

You're a great mentor! I had never heard of generating functions until I came to this post, but your post got me curious to go find the mechanics around that.

Learning a new thing every day. Thank you! :D

fbs7 said:
You're a great mentor! I had never heard of generating functions until I came to this post, but your post got me curious to go find the mechanics around that.

Learning a new thing every day. Thank you! :D

If you're really interested then I can recommend the book "Concrete Mathematics" by Knuth. The book gives several mathematical tools to solve problems that sound easy but whose solutions are far from it! Generating functions is one of those tools.

wee ned a proof for[tex]\overbrace{\,0,\,1,...\,1}^m\quad\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{m-1}x^i}{1\,-\,x^m}[/tex]

What is a generating function for 0,1 sequences with period m?

A generating function for 0,1 sequences with period m is a mathematical tool that helps us represent a sequence of 0s and 1s as a polynomial. It allows us to study and analyze the properties of these sequences in a more organized and efficient manner.

How is a generating function for 0,1 sequences with period m useful?

A generating function for 0,1 sequences with period m is useful in many areas of mathematics, including combinatorics, number theory, and graph theory. It can help solve problems related to counting, probability, and optimization.

What is the formula for calculating a generating function for 0,1 sequences with period m?

The formula for calculating a generating function for 0,1 sequences with period m is f(x) = (1+x^m)/(1-x). This formula is derived from the geometric series formula and can be used to find the generating function for any sequence with period m.

Can a generating function for 0,1 sequences with period m be used for other types of sequences?

Yes, a generating function for 0,1 sequences with period m can be used for other types of sequences as well. It can be modified to work with sequences that have a different period or sequences that have values other than 0 and 1.

Are there any limitations to using a generating function for 0,1 sequences with period m?

One limitation of using a generating function for 0,1 sequences with period m is that it only works for sequences with a finite period. It cannot be used for sequences with an infinite period or sequences that do not have a repeating pattern.