Generating High Voltage: Safe and Effective Methods for Amateur Use

In summary, the conversation discussed different methods of generating high voltage using amateur equipment. The options include purchasing a high voltage power supply on ebay, using capacitors, or using the leyden jar method with a static generator. There is concern about discussing high voltage creation due to safety issues. The category of high energy physics was also mentioned.
Invictos
Good Afternoon everyone,

Question: What are some effective ways to generate a high voltage (Multiple KV) using amateur equipment? I've dealt with high voltage before, so I'm aware of the safety issues.

Anyway, here is what I've got thus far:
If you go on ebay, and search for high voltage power supplies, you'll find two things. You'll find the really sketchy http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1000kv-high-voltage-generator-super-electric-pulse-transformer-module-/141997909434, or you'll find a few legitimate ones which, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bertan-Associates-BA-215-High-Voltage-DC-Power-Supply-Unit-HV-PSU-0-3000V-0-5mA-/262524968206?hash=item3d1fb51d0e:g:eek:nAAAOSwyKxXh9IA Of course there are the capacitors, but they still only go up to a few hundred volts without spending hundreds.

The other methodology I've looked at, is the ol' leyden jar method. Leyden jars are cheap, and if you have a static generator (Van de Graff or Wimshurst), they can presumably generate "quite a bit". My only problem with this method, is that I haven't been able to find any reliable way to predict/measure what voltage is actually produced...Not capacitance, but voltage.

So, if you wanted to generate a few KV, what would you use? I'm leaning towards Leyden jars, but is there a way to predict what voltage you'll get before you build the thing? I know it changes depending on how charged it is, but how would one calculate the upper bound (Assuming one exists)?

If I completely missed something let me know!
Thanks in advance,
Yours in Science,
Kyle

P.S. I'm about 90% sure this is in the right category (high energy...?) - If not, feel free to move me around!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Invictos said:
So, if you wanted to generate a few KV, what would you use?
A commercial power supply.
Invictos said:
I've dealt with high voltage before, so I'm aware of the safety issues.
Unfortunately, many visitors in this thread won't be, and we don't want to have "how to hurt you" instructions (like do-it-yourself high voltage creation), so we can't discuss this.

Invictos said:
I'm about 90% sure this is in the right category (high energy...?)
High-energy physics, a part of particle physics, starts where electrostatic accelerators don't work any more, somewhere in the multi-MeV to TeV range.

1. How is high voltage generated?

High voltage is typically generated through the use of a transformer, which increases the voltage of an alternating current (AC) electricity supply. This is done by using two coils of wire, one with more turns than the other, and passing the electricity through them. The resulting output will have a higher voltage than the input.

2. What is the purpose of generating high voltage?

High voltage is necessary for many applications, such as power transmission, electric motors, and scientific experiments. It allows for more efficient transmission of electricity over long distances, and can also be used to create strong electric fields for research purposes.

3. What are the potential dangers of working with high voltage?

High voltage can be extremely dangerous and potentially fatal if not handled properly. It can cause severe electric shocks, burns, and even start fires. It is important to always follow safety protocols and use proper equipment when working with high voltage.

4. How can high voltage be controlled?

High voltage can be controlled through the use of devices such as resistors, capacitors, and insulators. These components can be used to limit the flow of electricity and reduce the risk of accidents or damage to equipment.

5. What factors affect the generation of high voltage?

The main factors that affect the generation of high voltage are the input voltage, the number of turns in the transformer coils, and the materials used for the transformer. In addition, the frequency and type of current being used can also impact the output voltage.