Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generating light through AC?

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    Is this even possible? Since light is an electromagnetic wave, creating an alternating current will create fluctuations of electric and magnetic field and will... make light?

I highly doubt this is possible, but I thought it was worth asking to see why it CAN'T happen.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

Visible light is in the range of 300 THz. So, if it is feasible for EHF, which is in the 300 GHz range, I bet it should also somehow be possible for light.

I don't think you would be able to use wires to conduct the current; I guess would have to be by manipulating electrons in the vacuum. Perhaps if you give them a high enough energy and submit them to a huge magnetic field, that will create electromagnetic waves that could reach visible range.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
    It's possible but we don't have the technology to do it.

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Interesting. I'm wondering what the effect on the metal transmitter would be. Does higher frequency have different amounts of resistance or inductance or anything? (My knowledge of electronics is lacking to say the least)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook