Feed the Need: Unspoken Lingo of the Tamagotchi Generation

• Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date
In summary, kids today don't know what a phonograph is, or vaccination. They also don't know how to mumblety-peg. Older people will understand it, but kids won't unless they search.
Psinter
Withouth saying your age and without saying what generation you are from, say something that you know only kids from your generation will understand right off the bat, but younger people will not understand unless they search. I'll start
I have to feed my tamagotchi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Insert floppy disk 4 of 12

Last edited:
Likes Choppy, Nidum, BillTre and 2 others
Vaccinated with a phonograph needle.

Kids today don't know what a phonograph is. Or vaccination. :(

I forgot to bring my ration book.

I challenge you to mumblety-peg. (corrected)

How about that let's pretend yesterday.

I can't call now - the party line is busy.

Last edited:
rabbit ears (for TVs)
picture tube (also TVs)

Likes berkeman
This show is dumb. Do you mind getting up and changing the channel for me?
:rolleyes:

Just imitate the sound of a dial-up modem.

Proper arm signals when you're driving and turn left or right
"Use the choke when you start your car on cold mornings."
"I need to change my points."
"The radio isn't working. Take these tubes down to the A & P and test them."

"Gotta have my pops"
"Gotta catch 'em all"
"Yadda yadda yadda"

Reciting a rhyme copped from successive road signs ending with one marked 'Burma-Shave'.
"Danny scraped his leg again. Get the Mercurochrome!"
"Are they pop-tops, or do we need a churchkey?"
"Nail me with those clackers again, and you're going to need more than Mercurochrome!"
"Calling dibs on your candy stripes."

Whoa, so many phrases that I cannot identify o0). I can only identify DavidSnider and Mondayman. I think we are a little synced on the same generation.

The other phrases are so well written that I would be mistifyied if someone were to start a conversation on those topics. I'd be curious as well and listen with attention like :bugeye:. I have not the most minimalistic idea of what a phonograph needle is. Mumblety-peg, Rabbit ears for tv's? I had controls for changing the tv channels :DD. Cars that require other steps than cranking the keys or pressing a button to start :wideeyed:? I read the following: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_valve. I know what an intake manifold is and some other parts in that link, but had until now zero knowledge that a car could have required other steps to turn on. Calling dibs on candy stripes? I have never used a paper map on a car travel either o0). Floppies I used, but never required to insert more than one :biggrin:.

Wireless. No I don’t mean wireless, I mean wireless. Although they are both essentially wireless.

I can remember, mynah mynah, when you would listen to A wireless or The wireless.

Likes Psinter
Don't touch that dial!

Look in the icebox.

Where's the church key?

I know nothing... NOTHING!

...free house-breaking wee wee pads.

You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world.

I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused. and/or That's not funny, that's sick.

What, me worry?

Do not fold, spindle or mutilate.

32767 ENDedit: Damn, I missed Asymtotic's church key reference :)

Last edited:
Likes Psinter
Likes Psinter
"Can you lend me a dime for the phone?"

Likes Psinter and Greg Bernhardt
Mark44 said:
"Can you lend me a dime for the phone?"
Oh, but we had those until I started high school. Though it didn't cost a dime. Each call was like $1 USD for 3 minutes and 25 USD cents for each additional minute.

Kojak

Ten dollars a lid

gmax137 said:
Ten dollars a lid
Goes for a bit more nowadays...

1. How does the "Feed the Need" game work?

The "Feed the Need" game is a virtual pet simulation game that requires players to take care of a digital pet called a Tamagotchi. The goal of the game is to keep the Tamagotchi alive by feeding it, giving it medicine, and playing with it.

2. What is the meaning of the term "Unspoken Lingo" in the title?

The term "Unspoken Lingo" refers to the unique language and communication style that emerged among Tamagotchi players. This includes abbreviations, slang, and inside jokes related to the game.

3. Are there any tips for successfully playing "Feed the Need"?

Some tips for successfully playing "Feed the Need" include regularly checking on your Tamagotchi, keeping it well-fed and rested, and playing games with it to increase its happiness level. It is also important to note that each Tamagotchi may have different needs and preferences.

4. How did the Tamagotchi become popular among the younger generation?

The Tamagotchi became popular due to its unique concept of a virtual pet that required constant care and attention. The interactive and portable nature of the device also contributed to its popularity among children and teenagers.

5. Can the "Feed the Need" game have a negative impact on players?

As with any game, excessive use of the "Feed the Need" game can have a negative impact on players' daily lives. It is important for players to set limits and prioritize their responsibilities before playing the game. Additionally, the game can also teach players about responsibility and time management if played in moderation.