Generator Efficiency: Learn About RPM Impact

In summary, there is no relationship between efficiency and rpm. There may be some for a specific generator, but it wouldn't be a readily mathematically model-able function.
apc3161
Hey, I was wondering if someone could link me to a good source where I can read about electrical generator efficiencies and how they relate to RPM. I tried doing some derivations myself and came up with a somewhat believable result, but am not ready to trust myself as this is far outside my area of knowledge. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no overall relationship between efficiency and rpm. There may be some for a specific generator, but it wouldn't be a readily mathematically model-able function.

Well there are the friction losses - bearing and windage - which are a function of RPM, but they typically don't dominate in normal operation. But most generators are designed to run at a fixed speed. Drive them at a different RPM than for which they were rated and they produce nothing.

The main reason you would drive a generator at a particular speed is to get a particular frequency of AC out of the generator. If you want 60 Hz from a 4 pole generator, you would want to drive it at 1800 RPM.
It will certainly produce output at other frequencies if it is driven at a different RPM.

I searched Google for "Generator Efficiency Curves" and got a lot of information.
http://www.esat.kuleuven.be/electa/publications/fulltexts/pub_1602.pdf
This was one of them. Seems to have a lot of useful graphs in it.
See the last two pages.

But there was a lot more than that on Google.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are six generators (300 megawatts each) that run synchronously at 112.5 RPM. This is a pumped -water storage facility where the generators pump water uphill at night, and run the water back downhill through the generators during the day. The total round-trip efficiency (for storing and generating energy) is about 70%.
http://www.consumersenergy.com/apps/pdf/LudingtonPumpedStorage.pdf

Hi BobS.

Looks like the real source of power is still coal, but they use the reservoir to even out the demand during the 24 hour day. Stunning project.

They say the TURBINES run at 112.5 RPM but I guess they must have 32 pole generators and actually run the generators at 112.5 RPM to get 60 Hz out? Couldn't find that in the brochure.

Here is a detailed article on the Mt. Elbert 400 MW pumped water motor-generators (200 RPM, 100 MW each). I do not have access to the article.
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/l...&isnumber=&arnumber=1601670&authDecision=-203.
Here is another
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/l...00023143.pdf?arnumber=23143&authDecision=-203
Here is another free article with more detail. Their generator efficiencies are in the range of 98% with power factor = 1.0 (see page 11):
http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Communities/History/Landmarks/5567.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is generator efficiency?

Generator efficiency is a measure of how well a generator converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is typically expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating a more efficient generator.

2. What factors affect generator efficiency?

Generator efficiency can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the design and quality of the generator, the type of fuel it uses, the load it is powering, and the operating conditions such as temperature and humidity.

3. How does RPM impact generator efficiency?

RPM, or revolutions per minute, refers to the speed at which the generator's engine is rotating. The higher the RPM, the faster the engine is running and the more mechanical energy is being produced. This can lead to increased generator efficiency, as more mechanical energy can be converted into electrical energy.

4. Is there an ideal RPM for maximum generator efficiency?

There is no one ideal RPM for maximum generator efficiency, as it can vary depending on the specific design and load of the generator. However, most generators are designed to operate at their peak efficiency within a certain RPM range, so it is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications for optimal RPM for your specific generator.

5. Can generator efficiency be improved?

Yes, generator efficiency can be improved through regular maintenance, proper load management, and using high-quality fuel. It is also important to operate the generator at the recommended RPM range for optimal efficiency. Upgrading to a newer, more efficient generator model can also improve efficiency.