Generator Types: AC/DC, 3Phase, PM, Induction, Axial Flux

• Thread starter crash_ndie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, a control engineer would be best suited for this project because they understand the difference between motors and generators and how to best utilize them.
crash_ndie
hi all am doing a project to generate 240v 2.2kwh at 10 amps out put volts can be 28/48/24/12. i can't figure out what type of generator to use ac/dc, 3phase, permanent magnets, induction, or axion flux. I need one with low friction low torque under load an low rpm as the source to spin it up is low flow rate. I've tested a DC motor and was surprised to get 188v at 800rpm not under load, connect a bulb and it stops spinning totally... what's the best generator for the job ... help

Engineering news on Phys.org
(1) First you say you are going to be generating 240V and then you say it's ok if the output is 28/48/24/12. Do you understand that 240 is different than 28/48/24/12 ?

(2) You say you are "generating" but they you talk about using a motor. Do you understand that motors and generators are not the same thing? Do you understand the difference?

(3) Do you understand the dangers of messing with 220V ?

(4) What level of knowledge are you at? What grade in school

(5) Have you done any research on your own to distinguish among the types you listed (especially in terms of your list of desired characteristics) ?

crash_ndie said:
I need one with low friction low torque under load an low rpm

Well, you must have input power (ω*T) > output power ( V*I*cos φ ). Otherwise the efficiency would be greater than 100%. You will achieve the greatets efficiency with a PM synchronous ac-generator/motor ( ≈92% ). (A dc-generator will yield about 75%?). Low rpm is achieved by using a generator with many polepairs, e.g. an ac-generator with 7 polepairs must turn 514.3 rpm at an output frequency = 60Hz. Use an autotransformer to get 28/48/24/12 V.

An induction motor cannot be used as a "stand alone" generator, as it consumes reactive power. Thus it only works when connected to some grid. A load as a resistor cannot produce reactive power, and cannot produce a reference frequency for the asynchronous generator.

crash_ndie said:
low torque under load an low rpm
As Hesch pointed out , your two criteria are mutually exclusive.
Energy is conserved.
power = torque X rpm X some constant , constant depends on your choice of units.

thank you for your replies it looks like I will be using ac generator and will have to do some gearing to get the torque required ... hi phinds 1) yes I do know differences between voltage, the voltages i listed are optional for a inverter input to produce 240v 2) yes I do know the difference between motors and generators, i used the motor I had in the shed as a guide for the set up, not the final product I don't have the cash to buy 3 different generators hense me asking here. 3) yes i work on 3 phase 415v appliance's at work 4) A level at school, i am a control engineer, HVAC engineer, gas engineer, dea, and renewables engineer. I don't claim to know everything but I do try to understand 5) yes I have and didnt understand the difference or the best one for my project, so i here because I know you guys could help... thanks again lads

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between AC and DC generators?

AC (alternating current) generators produce electricity that flows back and forth in a circuit, whereas DC (direct current) generators produce electricity that flows in only one direction.

2. What is a 3-phase generator?

A 3-phase generator is a type of AC generator that uses three sets of windings to produce three separate currents, which are then combined to create a more stable and efficient power output.

3. How does a permanent magnet (PM) generator work?

A PM generator uses a permanent magnet to create a magnetic field, which then interacts with the rotating windings to produce electricity. This type of generator is often more compact and efficient than other types.

4. What is an induction generator?

An induction generator uses electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It does not require a separate power source, making it a popular choice for renewable energy systems.

5. What is an axial flux generator?

An axial flux generator is a type of PM generator where the permanent magnets are arranged in a disc or ring shape, with the windings wrapped around the magnets in an axial direction. This design allows for a more compact and efficient generator.